Fire safety around Elma Super Elite/L & R/Janta/Perl watch cleaning machines

Hello Everyone, 

I have a watch cleaning machine on order (Perl) from Etsy.
I intend to use Elma Red 1:9 followed by a rinse in de-ionised water, then a second rinse in naphtha due to it's shellac friendly nature.

I took delivery of 10L of naphtha today...
I think I've gone a bit over the top. 😳
I've just ordered a 5KG CO2 fire extinguisher as a result.

However, that got me thinking about fire safety, especially around these types of machines.
With open jars full of the solvent of your choice and a machine with an electric motor sloshing watch parts around in it, what safety precautions would you advise please?

Thanks for taking the time to post,

Ed.

12 hours ago, EScissorhands said:

naphtha due to it's shellac friendly nature.

in a reason why you are not using suprol pro for the rinse?

I took delivery of 10L of naphtha today.

then 10 L are you sure that's going to be enough?

thinking about fire safety, especially around these types of machines.
With open jars full of the solvent of your choice

if you look at the user manual for the Elma Super Elite they don't seem to be concerned about fire at all? although they make a couple references to the heated chamber at the bottom can reach temperatures in excess of 90°C. They appear to be more worried about you burning up something wherever you set the machine I don't see any of fears of the machine catching fire because of the fluids?

it's interesting with the users manual for the cleaning machine is they don't seem to grasp that the user might get creative on their choice of fluids in the machine that apparently never crossed their mind.

then I'm being confused? I'm looking at the material safety sheets for the suprol pro rinse and I'm looking for anything that would resemble flammability so that appears to be this  "Flash point 23 - 25 °C".  then for the rinsing your using naphtha  "Flash Point : -20° C to -50° C ( Exists in the form of Vapor at ambient Temperature) ". This means the troubling aspect for your rinse is it's going to be a vapor even in the jar probably on the surface. And of course when you're spin drying it it's going to be a vapor.

On the other hand if you look at this group naphtha or the other name it goes by lighter fluid is very popular as a cleaning fluid and of course as the rinse and I don't recall yet anyone burning the house down. on the other hand I don't know of how many people at have 10 L of it I would keep that some place separate from the machine. I suppose you might want to pick up a another fire extinguisher just to keep handy near the cannon of the stuff itself.

• Like 2

Thanks for all your replies!

10L is of course too much. My own fault, there was massive discount if you buy 2.
But I do intend to keep the cans well away from my workbench or any source of ignition. And I suppose the fact it stinks so much will help in detecting any leaks, God forbid. Decanting outside would also seem wise.

Got to admit that a pair of fire retardant antistatic overalls are looking quite attractive right now. 🤔

John, thank you for the info on the flash points, your point is taken! I didn't realise it was so low for naphtha. Interestingly, the seller on Etsy recommends petrol/gasoline as a rinse and that has a flashpoint of -43C! 

Regarding the Suprol Pro, I did look at it but decided against it as it's £12 a litre where I live, so I went for the naphtha at £2.50 a litre. Looks like a false economy though because I purchased a fire extinguisher as soon as I took one look at the naphtha. 

I think I'll use this lot up then switch to Suprol Pro or an equivalent.

Thanks for all the advice, it's very welcome! As are the laughs oldhippy!

Best regards,

Ed.

Edited by EScissorhands

I clean anything with shellac by hand (Horosolv degreaser).

For the cleaning machine I use IPA (isopropanol) in the final rinse. I (and my wife!) just can't take the smell of naphtha or suprol pro and IPA works extremely well. The smell of Suprol pro is absolutely horrendous, like death, and has a narcotic effect warning. Stay away from it! It will probably shorten your life by quite a bit.

• Like 2