My introduction!

Summit2001

• 1 month later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Just picked this up earlier today. This find just about epitomizes vintage watch collecting for me and what really keeps me going. Hit 2 antique malls today and saw a couple of pieces at the first one but just nothing that I needed. At the second one saw a Accutron 218 but it was 20 minutes behind the actual time. These "malls" have numerous booths of a variety of sellers who likely go in once or twice a week. Considering that that watch should be within a couple of seconds a month, I figured it hadn't been phased so passed on that for now knowing it would need work to run correctly and the price tag. Then I found this Excelle in a display case. I never heard of the brand, but in was an auto and had a little heft. It turned out to be 40mm lug to lug, 35.3mm case width, and 12.3 mm thick. On the spiedel once size fits most flex band. At $10.80US with tax I immediately pulled the trigger with nothing to lose. Before pictures: I spent a nice 30 minutes taking it out of the case and running that through the ultra sonic replacing the crystal and gasket and recasing, but spent five minutes first getting it running close on the timegrapher. Had a new crystal already in stock. I probably could have sanbed and polished the old one, but for $3 there is nothing like a new acrylic that makes a watch pop, in my opinion. The caseback gasket was hardened and just glad it wasn't tar. Changed that as well. Here is the after Pic on a temp black strap while I decide on a leather or steel bracelet. An added bonus was doing some research and finding out the Elgin connection and the movement is a PUW 1563T which is German I am pretty sure and probably why it doesn't say Swiss made on the dial. This movement is supposed to have a hack feature and quickset date by pushing the crown. But neither of those complications seem to be working. Not sure if the stem is cut too short because there is no gap for the crown to move. Either way at some point will need to be serviced and check the keyless works to find out what is going on with the quickset and hack of the sweep second hand.
    • On the link that I posted, one of the watches has no crown and another has a crown that is not square to the case. Does a broken crown signify that the movement may be quite corroded, hence the stem has broken, and does the bent crown simply signify that the stem is bent? Unfortunately as the seller has a bid on the items, he is now reticent to prise the casebacks off in case he damages something. The seller did reply with this email though. Hi again Michael - brief descriptions; Oris x 2, dials and hands ok and they set ok and one I just wound and it has been running for a few of minutes as I write this response. Rocar, dial ok no crown. No name dial no good and can't pull crown out to set. Roma dial and hands ok, I think it is pin pallet movement. Unicorn, good dial and hands and plexiglass ok for age. All cases and plexiglasses show wear except as mentioned. I have no idea what movements are fitted or condition so please if you do consider bidding, please do so accordingly as I don't like to disappoint my customers - regards and thanks again for your interest - Jim
    • The incomplete Vertex DD is a new project to sort out.  The Seiko gen 1, is my favourite watch to wear and is my daily.      
    • To be fair it was a beautiful 'bumper'.  But, there was some loose parts in the case.  Perhaps 'pig' was a bit excessive 😄.    
    • Thank you for your introduction and welcome to this friendly forum. We all look forward to your contributions and continued involvement.