Edox. Help with speed adjustment and identification of year of production

corkyduke

Hi there,

I was wondering if anybody could identify a year(s) of production for this Swiss Edox? I am guessing 60's or 70's.

Secondly, to confirm, is it the green arrow in the photo that points to what should be moved to adjust the speed? The red arrow is the other possibility but I believe this to be incorrect.

Thanks to any and all that may be able to assist this fresh newb!!!

Edox 935.301 Swiss Watch Internals - Diagram.jpg

Edox 935.301 Swiss Watch Face.jpg

Hi @corkyduke

As @Nucejoesays it's the regulator arm that can be used which you've pointed to in red.

However I've had folk ask me to 'just adjust' their watch when it's started loosing mega minutes a day and has never been serviced (or only serviced a long time ago). No ... that is the time for a service! You can't correct fundamental issues (dirt, gummy oil...) just by fiddling with the regulator. This may not apply in your case but as a newbie it's perhaps worth me mentioning.

The movement is an AS (A Schild) that looks like it's from this movement family: http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?11&ranfft&0&2uswk&AS_2063

I've guessed specifically at an AS 2063 but can you see a number under the AS on your movement? It's hidden by the balance wheel in your photo.

Notwithstanding the style of your watch this would then date it into the 1970s.

Thanks for all of the helpful information!  I have no idea of the service history of this watch so it may well need it. It is losing about 5 minutes consistently over a 12 hour period so unsure if this is too much to adjust for or if service is required. A full service seems to run about $500 and the watch is not worth that at all and it has no sentimental value so I'm torn.

Can I assume this is a low-end movement?

Thanks again for your generous time.

5 hours ago, corkyduke said:

A full service seems to run about $500 and the watch is not worth that at all and it has no sentimental value so I'm torn.

Even in our times of high prices and low availability you should be able to find somehow a better price. It would still exceed the material value of the watch so you best approach could be to regulate it yourself the best you can and wear it just occasionally.

5 hours ago, corkyduke said:

Can I assume this is a low-end movement?

More like mid-low.

Nice looking watch with a good movement. I see no scratch mark in screw slots, I bet any previous work on it must have been by a pro. Less expensive service fee can be found. 

The most expensive service is unskilled attempt which might damage something.

Regs

Thanks once again to all for the valuable input. I will attempt to see if I can find the serial number on the movement. If it is an AS 2063 the website WatchMaker kindly provided seems to indicate the year would be 1969 - 1978. Does A Schild have a database like some others where one could look up the serial number and get the year of manufacture? Just curious, as I would be interested if it was made in 1969 or not. Seems like the odds are against it.

1 hour ago, corkyduke said:

.Does A Schild have a database like some others where one could look up the serial number and get the year of manufacture?

You could ask ETA as they merged in with AS owners in 1970. But I doubt that they even answer individuals.

Hi again @corkyduke

This is a decent jewelled movement that would have underpinned a lot of watch brands offerings back in the 1970s.

You've hit the classic problem though. The cost of a service outweighs a perceived market value so there are millions of watches out there around the world languishing in the bottom of drawers that could tell the time as well as any mechanical watch of today but the service costs are off putting. At least yours is ticking along nicely rather than just not working even if it's losing time.

Here's the breakdown of an AS 2066 (the same as yours but just has a day too) so you can see what's involved ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM5gD6PQm5Y

Highly unlikely your movement will have a serial number on to date it if that's just something you have to have.

I was going to suggest doing something like a google image search for edox automatic 197n and work through the years i.e. change n to work through the production years. People sometimes sell a watch with an original box and receipt so you can find the same watch with a dated provenance. However doing this for 1971 just to test and what do I find? ... your watch I think! ... https://www.chrono24.co.uk/edox/935301--id14443132.htm on the first row of images!

This brings two things to mention. Firstly the advert says "recently serviced" but if it's losing five minutes in 12 hours that's not so good. So having gone on at length about servicing etc. above you might might actually have some redress with the seller (?). Or at least get sight of some receipt to prove a service.
Secondly the back of the case has a clear 935.301 on it which is presumably the model number. Edox still exist (https://www.edox.ch/) and may oblige with some general information if the image search suggestion doesn't play out.

Edited by WatchMaker

Thanks WatchMaker!  Perhaps I will contact Edox to see if they might respond. My watch is 100% identical to the one in the photos, but it is not the watch listed for sale on Chrono24. I used the photos on Chrono24 for expediency and perhaps should have provided credit or asked permission. My watch has no history available so I have no idea if/when servicing was ever performed.

• Like 1