Seiko Sportsmatic 5 date ring issue

Hi, trying to fix this Seiko Sportsmatic 5 from mid 60’s. Was my dads. Got it running but date won’t progress. Pressing the crown tries to progress it. The date ring isn’t snagged, I can move it around manually. It’s a 6619A movement. Do the teeth on the ring wear and this hinders the movement when pressing the crown? Any thoughts? Would love to get it fixed.  Ta. B.

491EE99B-C14D-4CE2-AA54-943021416594.jpeg

5 hours ago, Boydie said:

Hi, trying to fix this Seiko Sportsmatic 5 from mid 60’s. Was my dads. Got it running but date won’t progress. Pressing the crown tries to progress it. The date ring isn’t snagged, I can move it around manually. It’s a 6619A movement. Do the teeth on the ring wear and this hinders the movement when pressing the crown? Any thoughts? Would love to get it fixed.  Ta. B.

491EE99B-C14D-4CE2-AA54-943021416594.jpeg

Shouldn't the date jumper (part nearest 31) be clear of the pinion/wheel that it's next to? It looks jammed underneath. Excuse the lack of correct naming for parts. 

11 hours ago, Plato said:

Shouldn't the date jumper (part nearest 31) be clear of the pinion/wheel that it's next to? It looks jammed underneath. Excuse the lack of correct naming for parts. 

Good spot, thanks! I’ll adjust this.

13 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Its likley that the driving wheel point is worn and also the calendar/date ring both could contribute to the problem.  Does the watch stop when its changing over or keep on working.  parts sheet attached

488_Seiko 6619a.pdf 1.91 MB · 3 downloads

Thanks, I’ll have a closer look, also I haven’t run the watch fully yet, I was just testing the day and date to start with. 

• 8 months later...