Omega Speedmaster Iv, Or 4,5 As Some Say..!

Greetings to you all from the north of sweden!!

Here you have another watch fanatic, and I don't want to miss this opportunity and introduce myself to the forum.

Daniel is the name and I'm not a watchrepair man by trade, just an advanced nerd so far.. :geek: ..!

I've just finished a service on an old front-mounted Cimier military watch with very good results.

My ambition is that one day being able to service my latest addition to the small collection... My "new" Omega

176.0012 Speedmaster IV, or 4,5 as some people call them. This is a 40th year present which I have treated myself with. 

According to the serial, 39xxxxxx, the watch is exactly as old as me, manufactured in the year 1975. This makes

it a really early one. The timepiece is in fantastic condition, original glass with no chips and almost no dents on the  

casing whatsoever. The case is really nice refurbished with the classic sundial pattern and the polished corners and so on. 

I've fitted a new stem with the "real" crown (st 43238) and have also bought the right omega bracelet(1162-172)

for this watch. I'm also very proud to have the original 70s box, very hard to come by in this good condition. The original

insert for the box is missing though, so a pillow will have to suffice for the moment. But as you can see in the pictures,

the original bracelet is only mounted where it sits in the box. The bracelet which I have fitted now is a really nice, thick,

sturdy and heavy bracelet which I found on a website.  I understand why they have a thicker bracelet on the new retromodel

of the mark II. A thicker bracelet really completes the the bulky 70s style casing and really gives the omega a great

prescence on your wrist. As you can see my bracelet also has tapered links and polished sides that lines perfectly with

the style on the case. The purist in me just wishes that it was an original omega bracelet... Anyway, this is me and my new

best friend...

Many thanks to Mark for your absolutely great videos, they really inspire me for my future projects. And ofcourse this already great forum,

you've started something really good here, keep it up! :woohoo-jumping-smiley-emoticon:

(PS: maybe a service video on the lemania 5100/omega 1045 is something for the future..;-)  ) :judge:

Cheers to all of you other nerds in here! :thumbsu:

2nlvfv7.jpg

smaybb.jpg

29ar9mh.jpg

2yo7o2g.jpg

10y15qv.jpg

m81jfb.jpg

• Like 2

Hej Daniel!

You've had good luck, or shown excellent judgement, in joining this forum. Great, down to earth members and excellent videos and guidance from Mark and the Mods. (Okay you oldies, who remembers 'March of the Mods'?)

I like your Speedmaster and your enthusiasm. I'm more of a dress watch man though, as befits my age.

Välkommen ombord

John

Well hi there rogart63!

Thanks for the comments. I really love the seventies style on many cases. but I'm not equally big fan of the seventies bracelets. 

At least not for many of the big 70s cases anyway. i think most of them are to thin to fit the watch properly.

But as always, exeptions do exist of course. As I said the purist in me would love to have an original omega bracelet, just like

the one on the new retro omega mark II. But the price is just to high on those, so this is a perfect substitute in my opinion.

But you know how it is, the taste varies from person to person...! :thumbsu:   

Watch of the day at work...

My Citizen Aqualand analog from the nineties. As the speedmaster, this is also in fantastic condition.

A little bit on the "bling" side with the two-tone gold highlights.. :money: .. But I think it's okey for an everyday watch.

It sits on a thick black pvd-bracelet from the same company as the one on the Omega. Really sturdy these bracelets..!

23mvfno.jpg

f2utw.jpg

2gwdqox.jpg

Bob:

I haven't begun any advanced service of my citizen. The answer is no, I don't have access to old citizen movements I'm afraid. But you seem to have som really interesting projects going,

so thats why I'm asking. I really like all these projects in this forum, so much ingenuity in everyone. Yesterday I got really hooked in the tread "diy water pressure tester". That's something i

just gotta build for myself. A really nice thing to know that your watch at least is water resistant.. :thumbsu:     

• Like 1

Two more everyday watches from the tiny collection.

First a Seiko sportura chrono. All titanium with sapphire crystal, alarm,

chrono and screw down Crown. A really nice and light watch that you

can wear 24/7. I think It's perfect with Titanium as a material for a watch

- never gets cold on your skin.. :camp:

ayobc3.jpg

1zx5ahf.jpg

essv7m.jpg

15ft8x2.jpg

2q1do2c.jpg

2mydi6a.jpg

The fossil watch were a tribute(or rip-off) of the early Frontier led watch(yes,to the right).

The fossil is from 2002 and i really like the design with the bracelet lines continuing over the case.

It is a bit small though but it really looks nice and clean on your wrist. The led's seem to have very 

different luminance in the pictures but it is hardly noticeble with your real eyes. 

But...I still rather

have an omega Tc-2 instead..!

2n70fm0.jpg

4lrmuo.jpg

35ltg8n.jpg

9fp7iu.jpg

161i1ys.jpg

163ofp.jpg

Ok, I'll show you my CPR collection...to give it a name.  :)

I got a couple more in a different place so this was a quick on from my cell camera...forgive the quality and brevity, it is my pleasure to post it, I've just been soooo busy lately I barely have had time to even wear a DIFFERENT watch every day!

post-253-0-23446800-1429202041_thumb.jpg  post-253-0-08603800-1429202043_thumb.jpg  post-253-0-89980900-1429202044.jpg

The first one had to have the bracelet rebuilt and no matter what I did, the severely scored "bezel" is still showing the marks of whatever hit it. There is a post somewhere where I asked for the proper drill bit to do the job. Those are solid Stainless Steel links! I didn't want to be changing too many batteries so the crowns are all the way out! Keep in mind that they were all non functional and in very bad shape cosmetically and mechanically. I wish I had the before pictures!

Cheers,

Bob

PS. I found on line my original purchase...the before:

post-253-0-79867800-1429203002.jpg post-253-0-78452000-1429203003.jpg post-253-0-34918200-1429203004.jpg post-253-0-91562900-1429203004.jpg

Hi Joe,

Only once, being busy with...more (different) Seikos! :)  Those Bellmatics are good movements to work on though. They have a bar you push to unlock the button... That I remember!

I believe I have like 40 Seikos mechanicals/auto, kinetics and quartzs and some Citizens (No Bellmatics). Funny thing is they are all in a couple of boxes where I have to actually "work" to get at them. Therefore the 3 or 4 Citizens above are more available!  My next projects include a couple of kinetics and a bunch of eta 2846. I'll probably be looking for some cases for the eta in the near future...and I have to finish a couple of 6498's (lazy me!) I'll probably sell. I sometimes work on a number of the same movement, so I can learn them by heart and figure what is the most common failure. Again, this is only achieved with numbers...5 or 10 of the same. Since you get them used and from different places they will show their unique trend to failures. At least that's my train of thought.

As an aside, my friend at work wanted me to "build" him a Seiko, with a blue dial and a new NH36...I'm still thinking about it and looking for the right dial in the meantime. It could be a fun project but not very challenging! :)

In any case, I'm looking forward to your Bellmatic project report!

Cheers,

Bob

Excellent thought process! I wish I could afford to buy 5 or 10 bell-matics to learn them inside out--I've only been able to do that with two movements both of them pin pallets: BFG 158 31/7 and BFG 866. These two I can do with no hesitation. I've only worked on Ronda's 1223 type alarms which are very different than Seiko, but I'll take it slow and at least I know you are a good resource for Seiko insights! Thanks buddy.

• Like 1

Damn those watches cleaned up nicely!

Really good work there man. I really like the seiko chrono to the right. The blueish/black dial with the yellow hands look both sport and utility at the same time. Not forgetting the bulky bezel also.

The citizen next to the nice seiko would have been just as nice if it have had som markers/scale on the bezel. But still nice timepieces all of them..! :thumbsu:

Thank you, Daniel, I figured you would like the ones with scales on the bezel, me too! 

BTW, I couldn't find the twin to yours...it is hard work to get at it considering it is in the safe with the other watches...and the safe has all sort of stuff in front so it is even harder to get to it! A word of advise, never put a safe in a closet, it becomes a black hole! :)

Cheers,

Bob

He he, a safe in a closet.. :D  It sounds very interesting, a black hole you say.. Don't stray too far inside, you could end up in Narnia...! :lolu:

I don't have a safe to put my "trophy's" in. Actually I'm thinking about buying a wall-mounted glass cabinet for my watches, sunglasses and other gems. It would be really nice

to have every piece on display with great lighting and such. Speaking about piece....I'm a little bit anxious about the end of next week... Guess who's going to get back his

favourite timepiece after service on friday the 24th..? Yes ofcourse, the Omega is coming home to me again. The watchmaker said that I've brought it to him just in time. It

was rather filthy but he didn't need to chande anything, phew! I really wanted to have all the original parts inside so lucky me..!

I only have one picture that was taken during the service, in the strip down. It doesn't look clean att all, but I can safely say that It is very shiny now..!

And not so many plastic pieces in this picture by the way... :cool:

20z3fdh.jpg