Hello, I'm just getting started

efoltyn

Hello everyone,

For the past year with Covid, I've been lurking around various site and watch watch repair videos.  My first real experience with a good mechanical watch was back in the 1970s when I had an Aquastar Benthos 500 dive watch.  Unfortunately, in the early 90s it leaked salt water and a watchmaker (who had serviced the watch previously) indicated that it could not be repaired (probably economically).  I kept the watch for another 10-15 years before finally getting rid of it, now I wish that I hadn't. 

Anyways, now that I'm retired and have time on my hands, I thought I would try and learn how to service my own watch.  I have been acquiring the various tools, and bought two Seagull T36s from the Bay (keep one for parts for when I fling something into the wild beyond).  I also won a (supposed) "at leat runs" Waltham Grade 635 Model 1908 movement as well as a non-running Grade 625 that I got mainly for the case.  I finally signed up for the level 1 lessons this morning and have started to go through the videos.  I'm not sure that I will ever equip myself to do any significant repairs, but I would like to clean, lube, and adjust movements.  Besides the minor issue of learning how to do it, I now need to get some cleaning and lubing materials and tools.  I suspect that at leat for awhile, it's going to be manual cleaning.

I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Ed