how to release mainspring on Patek cal. 240

Should be access to the click in the hole under the last P in Philippe. You have to disengage to click in the auto system as well. On that note, on this caliber, if the click in the auto gets out of adjustment even a tiny bit (there's a fine wire spring that acts on the auto click) the automatic will either not work or will wear itself out in a matter of weeks. A friend who worked in Patek strongly recommends against messing with this caliber unless you have access to parts or aren't too concerned if the watch no longer works, hahaha. He said he had calls every week from service centers asking how in the world to set it up correctly.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, nickelsilver said:

Should be access to the click in the hole under the last P in Philippe. You have to disengage to click in the auto system as well. On that note, on this caliber, if the click in the auto gets out of adjustment even a tiny bit (there's a fine wire spring that acts on the auto click) the automatic will either not work or will wear itself out in a matter of weeks. A friend who worked in Patek strongly recommends against messing with this caliber unless you have access to parts or aren't too concerned if the watch no longer works, hahaha. He said he had calls every week from service centers asking how in the world to set it up correctly.

I also got a weird hairspring that are not magnetize and keep sticking to each other , I tried One Dip and Lighter fluid still not working ?

That's odd. This would have a Nivarox hairspring which while still somewhat magnetic should be impervious as far as timekeeping and also coils sticking. Sounds like you have something on there, try clean acetone. I'm guessing you don't have a magnetism detector! And hopefully this is your own watch?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Oyster said:

can't find the proper way to unwind the mainspring, thanks for the answer !

01c237ec242c564f755c8d3e4beedc8f.jpg

That is a very high quality and expensive watch movement. Without access to parts or a tech/ service sheet personally I would not attempt. I am just not that brave 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clockboy said:

That is a very high quality and expensive watch movement. Without access to parts or a tech/ service sheet personally I would not attempt. I am just not that brave 

I second that. It takes very little to irrimediably damage an hairspring that to all effects is unreplaceable. The safest approach is to only let a reputable watchmaker touch this piece. 

Sorry to say if you don't know how to let it down I don't think you should undertake such a task. I will tell you but if anything goes wrong it will cost you a great sum of money. Patek Philippe service charge is about £500

You remove the auto then let the mainspring down as our friend nickelsilver said from the hole next to the last P. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1