Rolex cannon pinion and broken center wheel

This came from my Dad's stock of parts.  He likely replaced the center wheel and kept the broken one.

My question is this.  Do you think the dent on the cannon pinion was done at the factory, or is this likely the cannon pinion that was removed when the center wheel was replaced?

Alternative theory is that the dent was made by a watchmaker to increase the friction of the cannon pinion on the center wheel post.

2021-01-31 15_52_08-Photos.png

Any reason why the factory should make a dent on this supposedly high precision canon pinion?

A true watchmaker keeps such broken peaces for the gear is still good and can save a watch, so is the canon pinion.

2 hours ago, jdm said:

The common way to adjust a cannon pinion. The related trick is, if it has been closed an hair too tight, it can be so slightly reopened pressing on the same point, but when fitted to the wheel. 

Thanks jdm.  I have done this myself several times.  What I was wondering...for brand new movements, are cannon pinions adjusted at the factory?

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Just to add to what @Neverenoughwatches says, the impulse jewel on the balance wheel is also held in by shellac, so avoid exposing the assembly to IPA as well - as stated the one-dip and generic tetrachloroethylene equivalent is safe with shellac so you can use this for your pallet fork and balance assembly. I agree, but worth noting that IPA readily soaks up water, even from the atmosphere: "IPA exposed to the air will absorb moisture rapidly until it reaches an equilibrium value of 65% IPA to 35% water." So you need to refresh it regularly.     
    • The width is otherwise known as mainspring height and strength as thickness for us more modern guys.
    • I've remembered something I had forgotten.  I've come across Dennison before but forgot all about it as I'm never going to use the units.  Maybe we should start a  thread on obscure units of measurement. 
    • Learned a new thing today! 🤓 Looked this up and found this informative document: Watkins-MainspringGauges.pdf
    • Correct one dip is expensive when the chemical is purchased as " one dip " which is why it is mostly reserved for these two small parts as far as information tells us it is mostly tetrachloroethylene. I use it bought as perchloroethyl used in dry cleaning processes, i cant say I'm overimpressed with it though it appears to me to be shellac safe. What may be a better solution for hairsprings is a high lab grade of pure benzine.  IPA is mostly used as a rinse and water displacer and yes it does have the potential to dissolve shellac, personally i would not buy anything that has significant water dilution so 99.9% IPA is the way to go. And lastly the part you are cleaning dictates your choice of cleaning brush, delicate parts like a hairspring requires the finest artist's brush you can find. Plates and bridges can take a little more scrubbing, but always check to make sure the surface is being unharmed. And dont forget a stick of tip benzine soaked correctly shaped pegwood is your mate set up for cleaning dirty jewels and removing stubborn dried up lubrication.