New to this

einsteinpc

Hi there. I’m new to watch repair and will probably be posting many questions on here I am sure. Started watching some YouTube videos and I was hooked. Bought a lot of pocket watch movements to practice on and a seiko 5 7s26a with a broken winding stem as my first project. Wish me luck and if anyone has any advice I am all ears. 

A good tip is as a beginner take lots of photos as you start to take a movement apart. I always recommend beginners to start with a pocket watch as its bigger and are very much alike to a standard watch movement. Do not touch fusee pocket watches as those are very different to a standard watch. This will help you to get to know the names of parts.  

1033305402_TZIllustratedGlossary(1).pdf

• Like 1

Welcome @einsteinpc!

I do agree with oldhippy. Begin with a pocket watch movement and a Unitas 6498 or Unitas 6497 would be an excellent first choice, and if you really want a wrist watch movement I'd recommend a Unitas 6325, which is very similar to the aforementioned calibres.

7s26CSmallCapJewelsAndSprings.png.3b071cc8a88cab30b4cfa89d85592b29.png

The above picture is a for a Seiko 7S26C/7S36C and it has these tiny, tiny springs and cap jewels that are very, very challenging to handle. I'm just a hobbyist, but of the 17 different types of calibres that I've been servicing, the 7S36B (also having these dust particle in size parts) were the most challenging. It could be that the 7S26A doesn't have these tiny springs and cap jewels (I believe that is the case) but make sure before you have a go at it, especially if it is your first movement service/repair.

Best of luck and we're here to assist!

That is all good information. Thanks everyone. The winding stem appears to be the only major issue but I’ll find out when I get the watch in my hand. I have a cheap watch makers kit coming from my father in law most likely from China so I’ll see how it works. Any tips on tools I MUST have to do this properly?  Websites that are good?  I’ve checked out erlinger and cousinsuk. I’m trying to budget this hobby so I’m not blowing grocery money lol

I love to do a lot of research as well. My father has a fusee pocket watch in good condition and I’m trying to learn more about the history of it. It was made by a man in London that from what I can find only made a few before going out of business. Any tips on places to look for watch history etc. My dad would be so happy if I could learn more about it for him.