First clock stripdown - tell me what to buy!

JohnC

Hi all,

I am working my way through the BHI Technician Grade course, and it's time to do the first clock stripdown and inspection. I've got a decent amount of watch experience at this point, but when it comes to clocks, clock brands, etc, I am adrift.

I need a single-train clock. Preferably spring-driven, anchor escapement. Wall clock or table / mantle is okay. I'm in Canada, so a cheap but respectable North American brand that I won't have to have shipped from the mother country. I dunno - Seth Thomas??? Help me out, and forgive my ignorance!

• Like 1

Can you get a hold of anything French? Surely some French Canadians must have brought some over. Only issue with them is that they are occasionally striking and you don't really want that just now.

Are you going to purchase via eBay or similar?

Ansonia was a US brand that made a lot of mantle clocks in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. I don't know how many you can find in Canada, but it was the first spring-driven clock I repaired/restored. It was pretty straightforward. I don't know if you want something that old but you usually can find plenty of them in the US for reasonable prices.

@rodabod thanks. Can you recommend a couple brands that would not break the bank? Seeing as accidents do happen, I don't want to go all-out on my first.

@fixermolethanks! I'll keep my eye out.

@oldhippythanks - junk and flea markets are pretty closed right now, but I am looking at estate sale auctions and other local sales. I've noticed that shipping is often more than the value of the clock, depending on where you're buying from on Ebay.

I had a look at what was available inside Canada and the selection was really poor, unfortunately. I think Royal Mail would be about £25 to post up to 2Kg from the UK, but you'd be able to get a relatively better price on the item itself. We can get French drum clocks for about £30 - £50 here as they are so common. I would try to avoid working on budget movements with open mainsprings which are more common in Canada and the US as they are (in my opinion) pretty horrible, and not as nice to work on.

It will be worth purchasing a clock that is sold as running but needs attention. Nothing worse than stripping down a clock to find parts missing or with un- repairable damage. I am sure you know this already BUT always let the mainspring/s down before any stripping down of the movement. Clock springs are strong and not only can cause damage to the clock if uncontrolled they can cause yourself halm.

I've been on the lookout as well. I really like the look of that oddball center seconds guy, but $50 shipping for an unknown movement without the confidence to know it can be resurrected... That's a steep price for the gamble. North America does not have the same clock tradition as Europe. Pickin's are slim. Add the uncertainty that goes with naïveté to that, and it's not a good combination. 

Sometimes it is worth taking a gamble in my opinion. If you look at any of the clocks I’ve worked on, all of them were purchased with issues, but all were very cheap. 

I’m guessing that something like £50 (75 Canadian) would be a reasonable amount for something to practice on. I can’t see much else out there that looks promising. 

@rodabod
yeah I'm willing to go for a relative beater. Running would be good, so I at least have a hope of having a working machine at the end. 50 Canadian feels about right. I think I'm going to hold off for now and keep watching the local estate sales to avoid shipping. Glad to hear your advice about not working on the open mainspring ones just yet - good to know. Definitely want to study the anchor as the theory of it is a pretty major part of the course, and I want to reinforce it.

@oldhippy
from the US I'm probably looking at 50 Canadian, so about half what it would be from the UK.

@spectre6000
 Ah yeah, I am pretty smitten by the centre seconds one actually!