Strange 21 Jewel Pocket Watch

The "Numa Frechelin" is the clue. From the NAWCC web site: 

"Greg Crockett

Jul 27, 2002

Could your watch be marked Numa Frechelin? If so, a Swiss company existed in Colombier by that name. It was known for making watches of the American style,what the Swiss called "Boston" watches and now called Swiss Fakes by American collectors. Louis Frechelin made watches as far back as the 1880's, Numa was listed in the 1920's in the same town."

There was also an American watch by the name of "Meridian".  Yours is not that.  There's an "i" missing.  A Swiss company faking an American style of watch was a sales tactic.  That said, some "Swiss fakes" were fairly decent timepieces in their own right.  I'd certainly consider it worthwhile to restore yours.  I couldn't estimate a dollar value offhand though.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KarlvonKoln said:

The "Numa Frechelin" is the clue. From the NAWCC web site: 

"Greg Crockett

Jul 27, 2002

Could your watch be marked Numa Frechelin? If so, a Swiss company existed in Colombier by that name. It was known for making watches of the American style,what the Swiss called "Boston" watches and now called Swiss Fakes by American collectors. Louis Frechelin made watches as far back as the 1880's, Numa was listed in the 1920's in the same town."

There was also an American watch by the name of "Meridian".  Yours is not that.  There's an "i" missing.  A Swiss company faking an American style of watch was a sales tactic.  That said, some "Swiss fakes" were fairly decent timepieces in their own right.  I'd certainly consider it worthwhile to restore yours.  I couldn't estimate a dollar value offhand though.

Thanks for the input. Really strange that the ratchet that is not attached actually does nothing. I was able to wind the watch without the ratchet as though it was simply out there to make it look like an American pocket watch. As well the jewel caps over the 3rd and 4th wheels are just for decoration as there does not seem to be a pivot and gear under these cap jewels. We shall see when I strip this watch down.

Edited by jdrichard

Yes, please post pics as you do so.  We learn from one another here.  I may have recognized somewhat of the watch you have, but I have not yet been privileged to see inside one yet either.  So I'm rather curious too.  Goodness knows, I may run across one of these later on. It'll be good to have some advance knowledge of the insides.  Thanks for bringing it on here.

3 hours ago, jdrichard said:

Thanks for the input. Really strange that the ratchet that is not attached actually does nothing. I was able to wind the watch without the ratchet as though it was simply out there to make it look like an American pocket watch. As well the jewel caps over the 3rd and 4th wheels are just for decoration as there does not seem to be a pivot and gear under these cap jewels. We shall see when I strip this watch down.

I will make a video of the disassembly so we can all see how these watches were made.  I read that the swiss called them Boston watches.  This one seems like they have a fake movement on the top and the real movement on the bottom. We shall see???

9 minutes ago, KarlvonKoln said:

Yes, please post pics as you do so.  We learn from one another here.  I may have recognized somewhat of the watch you have, but I have not yet been privileged to see inside one yet either.  So I'm rather curious too.  Goodness knows, I may run across one of these later on. It'll be good to have some advance knowledge of the insides.  Thanks for bringing it on here.

I will make a video of the disassembly so we can all see how these watches were made.  I read that the swiss called them Boston watches.  This one seems like they have a fake movement on the top and the real movement on the bottom. We shall see???

• Like 1