Movement I.d.

The top one is a smiths cal 512 used in some of their Made in Gt Britain watches prob from the Welsh factory probably Ingersol not sure on the history! also found in some services shockproof watches. They came with or without the date wheel jumpers etc, a pin pallet movement which keep surprisingly good time when working. I recently bought a minty looking smiths fully wound and not working! Easy service I think.....Nightmare!! I ended up scouring the net and finding a Services watch same calibre no date, to replace the shock springs,shock jewel and cannon pinion which all went into orbit and ended up making a setting lever spring as i lost both. After the rebuild I covered some card in magnetic tape and managed to find everything bar the cannon pinion (biggest bit) so I have a complete movement less cp in bits a clean services dial hands and good case which you are more than welcome to as I cant see myself willingly tackling one again. Here it is before I started!

post-89-0-95553100-1426210710_thumb.jpg

I have never worked with one of these movements but some the mainspring click is accused from the dial side. Perhaps this was the issue.

It all went tits up,but learning from the mistakes it is the way forward.

Edited by clockboy

geo where did you find the maker or did you know it?

You said you thought it was American and I have Bulova movement just like that. I did a search for a Bulova 372 movement, which didn't come up, but an FEF 372 did. Sometime you just get lucky! ;)