Rolex 3135 Service Completed

I finally finished servicing my Rolex submariner this weekend and I encountered few issues. I thought it might be useful to share the repair for anyone on the forum who tackles a Rolex 3135.

Stripping the watch down & cleaning was textbook really with no issues by following Marks Vid. This is the cleanest watch i have ever cleaned The only obvious dirt was on the oscillator weight axle & the mainspring barrel.

MAIN SPRING The first issue i encountered was the mainspring winder that I have been using for a while was not up to the task. The winders correct barrel shaft for the watch barrel was way to fat. I tried to use a smaller barrel with the correct shaft BUT because in effect I was fitting the spring into a barrel that was too small the catch that the spring hooks onto snapped & unbelievably the snapped part got wedged in between the shaft & spring. After fiddling for along time trying to release it, the spring flew hit the workshop door (see pic). I therefore had to fit a generic spring.

KIF SHOCK SPRINGS The other issue was I removed & cleaned the balance jewels with no issues. However when I lifted the top KIF retaining clip of the escape wheel it flew and disappeared (found it this morning attached to the underside of the watch clamps adjusting thread!!!).
i purchased two replacement clips but I just could not get them to fit & I eventually bent them. However on my next attempt I used a tip from noirrac (Joe) which was to cover the springs & bridge with cling  film. This worked a real treat. However as this watch was in a very clean condition I thought I would be prudent & I lubricated the bottom jewel with a Bergeon Auto oiler.

STRANGE ISSUE. before the service this watch was running consistently (never off my wrist for the 6 years) + 20secs. a day. So I purchased a microstella tool expecting to make regulation adjustments. However when I put the watch on the timegrapher after the service it showed either 0 or +3sec. depending on its position without any adjustment.
The only explanation I can think of it is now fitted with a generic mainspring which is shorter in length.
I also get a very brief bit of snow when changing position so I guess there might be a end shake issue with the balance but this is beyond my abilities at present 

Mark or somebody else might have a possible reason but I have no complaints it was a pleasant surprise. I would have liked to have changed the crown seals but could not find genuine Rolex seals or how to fit. I will do this when i source some.

CONCLUSION. I would never have tackled this service if it was someone else's watch.But with Marks excellent vid & the help from this forum I thought it was worth attempting. The Rolex is a top quality movement and in my opinion servicing needs to be only be attempted with good guidance the correct tools.

One dead Rolex mainspring
post-234-0-98145200-1425225015_thumb.jpg

Dial UP
post-234-0-83863600-1425224587_thumb.jpg

Dial DOWN
post-234-0-41141700-1425224654_thumb.jpg

Crown DOWN
post-234-0-45015700-1425224729_thumb.jpg

ON MY WRIST JOB DONE
post-234-0-09974800-1425224768_thumb.jpg
Edited by clockboy
  • Like 2

It's good to hear that it all wòrked out very well in the end. It's a tidy job and I'm really pleased for you. :)

As a matter of interest, what was the amplitude before you serviced it?

I am not 100% sure but if my memory serves me correct is was approx.270. However I could not find the correct lift angle for the 3135 so kept the timegrapher set @ 52 deg.

I did not write these figs down which I normally do. It is a small mistake made by me but it was and always has gained 20+ secs a day until now.

If it was 270 before and it's less now due to the new spring being fitted, that might have explained why it is running slightly faster now. I'd like to hear some others thoughts on this.

Thanks Geo, I feel a bit of a plonker really I always put a running watch on the timing machine before & after but I got so involved with getting the correct lubrication, correct tools, etc,etc.  I forgot this bit. I am confident that all is assembled correctly the only thing that has crossed my mind is did the auto oiler oil the bottom escape jewel correctly as I have never used a auto oiler before but did lots of tests before using it.

If you could adjust the beat error closer to zero i think the amplitud will go up . Btw i found watchguy service of a 3135 and he has 52 degrees on his timegrapher to . http://watchguy.co.uk/service-rolex-oyster-perpetual-datejust-16200-calibre-3135/ . And the lift angle is http://hiro.alliancehorlogere.com/en/Under_the_Loupe/Rolex_3135

Edited by rogart63

If you could adjust the beat error closer to zero i think the amplitud will go up . Btw i found watchguy service of a 3135 and he has 52 degrees on his timegrapher to . http://watchguy.co.uk/service-rolex-oyster-perpetual-datejust-16200-calibre-3135/ . And the lift angle is http://hiro.alliancehorlogere.com/en/Under_the_Loupe/Rolex_3135

That's interesting Rogart, but what would you rather have 3 secs a day with BE 1.4 or 6sec a day with BE 0.5? I know what I would rather have. :)

Geo I did see them winders  if you regularly service Rolex,s perhaps OK but better to buy the full set of Bergeon winders for £1000 less and I am pretty sure there will be barrels with this set that fit the Rolex,s

• 7 months later...

Hi Clockboy,

Can you elaborate on using the cling wrap over that escape jewel KIF spring?

Is the cling just to prevent losing the spring or help in some way to reinstall a new spring? 

Yes, just saves the flier which is very common with these blighters. I must admit the last one fitted I did not use the clingfilm trick but used very fine tweezers (Dumont 5 ) & very fine peg wood to steady with. I also de-magnitised the spring & tweezers for good measure.

• Like 1