Another Request For Help From Newbie

Johnvsd

It was an accident that i dropped the watch, and the stem is broken. The broken stem is deeped inside the watch. I need your expert advise of how to take the broken stem out from the engine without taking all the parts from the watch. Many thanks in advance. And have a nice weekend gentlemen.

post-726-0-58553900-1425152708_thumb.jpg

post-726-0-22685800-1425152709_thumb.jpg

post-726-0-17296900-1425152710_thumb.jpg

post-726-0-64144800-1425152710_thumb.jpg

post-726-0-23029300-1425152711_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum. Not 100% sure (not worked on one of these), but I would loosen the outermost screw to the right of the stem and try to withdraw the stem remains with fine point tweezers, failing that it may be a case of pressing the stud down to the left on the stem.

Hi,

The screw that people are talking about when I look at it just looks too big to be a set lever screw so I would try pushing down on the stud to the left and pulling out the stem with tweezers. That's easy to say because it doesn't look like the is enough stem left to grab hold of. If the little stud doesn't move then it has to be the screw. As everyone said loosen it a bit but then push down on it some to loosen the set lever and hopefully the stem will fall out. I'm afraid though that you may have to go in from the dial side and remove most of the keyless works to get it out.

Charles K  

When asking for help it would be nice if you would give us the model number. So pulling out one of my books an automatic watches as a guess it look like a longines 19a Or perhaps a 19as. So I've attached Your photograph with a circle as to where the set lever screw Is.

Then googling I found some helpful links for you with lots of pictures.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?12&ranfft&0&2uswk&Longines_19A

http://archive.horlogerie-suisse.com/vintages/longines/longines-calibre-19A-14350209.html

http://watchguy.co.uk/service-longines-conquest-calibre-19as/

post-673-0-71950000-1425188591_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

my apology for that. Yes it is Longines 19A. I tried to release the screw, and use every small, sharp to pick the broken stem out. However, I failed. It is really stuck inside. Thanks gentlement.

Just a thought guys, is there any chance that when you back off the screw identified by JohnR, that you would then push down on the head of the screw or what appears to be a button, to release the stem. I'm sure somewhere down the line I had to press down the screw head to release a stem, after backing it off. It's certainly worth a try before pulling the keyless work apart.

• Like 1

If you really can't get the stem out and disassembly the watches definitely not in the beginners category a compromise would be to remove the dial. The setting parts are underneath and you can usually get the stem out sometimes if you're lucky without having to remove all the setting parts.

• Like 2

I agree with John, if you have not disassembled watches before, take it to a watchmaker.

Regarding what I said earlier about pressing down on the screw, I have just ahead a look at a picture of the keyless work and it looks like it could be a possibility. The setting lever spring is pressing down on top of the lever and preventing it from releasing the broken stem. If you back off the screw a couple of turns then press down on it, it will push against this flat spring and should free off the stem. If you look at the middle top of the picture you will see the back of the screw in the centre of the lever with the flat oddly shaped spring to the right of it. It is this spring that is preventing the lever from disengaging from the stem.

post-124-0-29649800-1425201367_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Just a thought guys, is there any chance that when you back off the screw identified by JohnR, that you would then push down on the head of the screw or what appears to be a button, to release the stem. I'm sure somewhere down the line I had to press down the screw head to release a stem, after backing it off. It's certainly worth a try before pulling the keyless work apart.

I will be sure to try that. Thanks

Keep us posted!

Do not back the screw all the way out or you will have to take it for repair. That said, if it doesn't work with two turns, keep trying another quarter turn at a time until you are successful or not. Bearing in mind that a watchmaker job is looming on the horizon anyway.

I agree with John, if you have not disassembled watches before, take it to a watchmaker.

Regarding what I said earlier about pressing down on the screw, I have just ahead a look at a picture of the keyless work and it looks like it could be a possibility. The setting lever spring is pressing down on top of the lever and preventing it from releasing the broken stem. If you back off the screw a couple of turns then press down on it, it will push against this flat spring and should free off the stem. If you look at the middle top of the picture you will see the back of the screw in the centre of the lever with the flat oddly shaped spring to the right of it. It is this spring that is preventing the lever from disengaging from the stem.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I believed when I dropped the watch, the stem was broken and benched inside. I tried the way you said, and I found out that the broken half inside is very curve down. I will take it to the watch repairer in my local for help. Thank very much.

Hi,

A bit late with this reply...

I made a couple of little tools for broken stems using stem extenders and a couple of old watch crowns but there has to be a bit of the thread left in order to be effective...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Hi,

I made a couple of little tools for broken stems using stem extenders and a couple of old watch crowns but there has to be a bit of the thread left in order to be effective...

Great idea Darren! :)

Hi,

That would be nice to have those

Hello John,

I think you have a decision to make whether to tinker or not.  If you pursue this you will probably need to start buying some stuff to make the tool like the ones Darren talks about, but in your case you would need to first find out the tap size of the stem for your watch either from reference material or perhaps you still have the crown with some remnant of the stem in it that you can size.  Then get an extender to fit the thread and you can remove the remnant from the original crown to use the crown and in that way you have your tool.  Note that to use the extender there must be enough room to accomodate the female end.  They cost a couple of quid on the Bay

post-197-0-28238600-1425468258_thumb.jpg

If something has gone bad inside the keyless works due to the dunch and the tool does not work I fear that removal of the hands and dial is the only way to go so then you come to the decision whether to tinker or not as if you do not have the tools for hand removal getting them off with tweezers or whatever is not really a good idea. and dial protection is important to ensuring the looks are not marred.  At least with the right tools you have a chance.

Either way there will be loads of help available from the forum.

Cheers,

Vic

Just some additional stuff that may help.

post-197-0-04702200-1425470009_thumb.jpg

I think that you need an extender that fits a stem size .9mm which is referred to as Tap 10 so the extender would have to screw on to a Tap 10 thread.

If anyone finds fault in this please don't hesitate to correct me - its all part of the learning process.

Cheers,

Vic

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...