Hello everyone, and my first question

MartinOcando

Hello everyone. I started watch collecting just a few months ago, and I'm loving it so far. I've made myself into a decent starting kit to maintain, and maybe in the future even mod some of my watches. I'm using some cheap'ish tools I found in Amazon and eBay, I know I'll need to invest in better gear as I get more into serious modding, but for the time, I think I can manage. At least I got a Bergeon spring bar tool, which seems to be the must have.

So, I already got a few homages from Aliexpress and eBay, most of them have popular movements, like Miyota 8215, Seagull ST1612 and Mingzhu DG2813. And I'm very happy with those. They seem to be pretty reliable and precise. The Miyota spinning rotor is driving me nuts, but that's the extent of my grieves.

Until today that my brand new Corgeut Spectre homage arrived, which I was waiting for so long since is one of my favorite Bond designs. Is so beautiful and works great, but it has one annoying issue. It came with a Seagull ST1612, and apparently there is something wrong with the date wheel, or the movement itself. Some days are completely out of wack, like today the 27th, for example, but others are dead center. There are like two waves, from 7-13 are off and then from 23-29. The rest are centered.

Any idea what might be happening here? I'm still waiting for the Corgeut Aliexpress store to come back to me and see if they will honor the warranty and send me a new one, or just a new movement, I feel pretty confident to swap the movement myself. As I mentioned, I have all the tools and know how to use them.

I made a quick video of the issue: https://youtu.be/plTyZ0qAWaA

Thanks for the help! 

Edited by MartinOcando
Fixing the link
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MartinOcando said:

there is something wrong with the date wheel, or the movement itself. Some days are completely out of wack, like today the 27th, for example, but others are dead center. 

Maybe it has been printed, or cut poorly. Do not expect quality from Chinese watches, Seagull or not, unfortunately is just not their thing.

Welcome here and I wish you a pleasant evolution from owner to modder and finally to repairer.

Edited by jdm
  • Thanks 1

I'll second JDM. It's a quality control issue present in a lot of homages and cheap/fun watches from China.

Welcome to the forum! I have had a great time here and learned a lot. Some of the people here are extremely knowledgeable and it's a valuable resource for me doing this professionally alongside jewelry and gemology.

Hope to see you around!

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your reply, your welcome, and the good wishes. I'm really loving all of this already.

Regarding the watch, I don't mind replacing the wheel (it might even be a good exercise) or the whole movement, so I might request Corgeut to send me a new Miyota, of if they refuse, I'll simply buy a new one a be done with it. The watch is gorgeous, it has great lume, and it screams for a crystal replacement with AR coating.

Best

• Like 1

• 5 months later...