Taking out movement from an Omega case

Question

Hello,

Anyone here have an experience with a similar vintage Omega and knows how to remove the movement from the case? Tried rotating the movement (slightly, i'm afraid i'll break something) but with no luck.

Thanks!

20200924_002514.jpg

20200924_002931.jpg

12 answers to this question

7 hours ago, Tudor said:

Clamps are off and stem is out (I assume)?

It should drop right onto the casing cushion. 

Stem is out. There were no case clamps or screws (not sure why but i'm 99% sure this watch hasn't been touched for 40 plus years, so probably a feature and not a bug). 

Edited by Rafael
56 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Have you removed the gasket and then see if it drops out.  

The gasket got really deteriorated and is stuck to the case so no. This is why I want to take out the movement. I need to clean the case and replace the gasket. I need to practice more on "cheaper" less sentimental watches before I'll have the courage to service this one :biggrin:

Hi on some omega's there is an outer ring which is rotated and removed. Then the movement is .  removed.   check for its presence.  What is the calibre No cannot make it out from the photo.

1 hour ago, watchweasol said:

Hi on some omega's there is an outer ring which is rotated and removed. Then the movement is .  removed.   check for its presence.  What is the calibre No cannot make it out from the photo.

That is normally with Omegas that come out from the front. There's a type of ring you move to enable the movement to be freed from the case. Is that what you mean? 

I do see the movement ring there so I’d get in there with a loupe or microscope and bright light to check around the edges to see if it rotates. 

Is it even loose, or is it tight in the case?

Hi  The retaining ring I have also found on an omega 565 which required turning to free up the movement, Front loaders once the bezel is removes also use a similar method on some cases see attached document. the one I had was basicaly the same but worked from the back.

Omega_Omega The-monocoque-case-for-the-new-Seamaster.pdf

5 hours ago, watchweasol said:

It's a 613.

3 hours ago, Tudor said:

I do see the movement ring there so I’d get in there with a loupe or microscope and bright light to check around the edges to see if it rotates. 

Is it even loose, or is it tight in the case?

A very tight fit. Nothing moves except the movement which I can slightly rotate.

So I found a YouTube video of a 613 service and there he just lifts up the movement ring. I'll try again later today with a little bit more force. Maybe it's just age stuck.

Will update! Thank you!

So applied some force with a screwdriver and the movement ring popped out! 

It's covered with some sort of black coating which i'm not sure from what origin. I think it might be protective paint from some sort.

Now for the cleaning. Thanks for your help!

20200924_221715.jpg

20200924_222312.jpg

Edited by Rafael
  • Like 1

• Similar Content

• By Amateurwatchbreaker
      Is this real? Thinking of bidding on it, but something seems off...

• By grh215
      Hello everyone. I have a really sad story and I am a complete amateur. I am a machinist for a living so I thought I would give a crack at making a frankenwatch, however it did not go as planned and now I have a movement with subdials that don’t work and a whole lot of parts and money invested and I don’t know what to do. I need the help of a professional. The donor movement was a NOS, new old stock, and was running perfectly, however I messed up almost everything attempting to make this watch. I will happily ship all of the parts needed to complete this watch and pay for any repair that need to be made and for the return shipping. I need the help of a professional how can repair and assemble the watch with the parts and return it to me. I will pay for everything, the labor, replacement parts, return shipping, I just need someone’s help. 
      Details about the project: 
      movement: valjoux 7733
      dial: vintage NOS angelus chronograph dial
      case: custom machined case 
      crystal: plexiglass

• By RobRoy
      Hello forum, this is my first time posting.
      I found my great-grandfathers Timex maybe about a year ago, and to my dismay, it wound right up some 50 years later. From what I can tell, it looks to be a viscount model maybe pre-1960s? Possibly closest to a model 31 movement. My area of expertise is really limited to owning battery operated watches, so I'm hoping someone could help.
      I was using my hand to hit a wrench for my car and I didn't even notice I had my watch on. The movement stopped and from then on it's been acting funky, basically just stopping randomly throughout the day, but then restarting. When I take off the case and manually wind the rotor with my fingers, it will continue to run for quite some time, but once I try to wind it with the crown and stem or maybe even shake the watch it may only last a few moments.
      I hope someone may be able to help me diagnose some potential sources of this, since I would love to keep wearing my great-grandfathers watch. I've attached pictures too
    • By MechanicMike
      Hi all-is there a name for the crescent shape of this fork and its purpose? Vague memory of seeing one like this but can't find where I had seen it.
      Thank ya
      MM

• By Cmmb8519
      Hi all
      It has been a great challenge to find a Omega Case tube for my Seamaster Chronograph Professional case 178.0504 (or 178.0514).
      Omega part number is 090ST1237.
      Any place I can buy an alternative after market to replace the original? any suggestion on where you would go for an Omega like after market case tube?
      It is quite a long tube (5.90mm) threaded in the inside.
      Many thanks