Heuer cal 12 service manual?

deloidtoc

I restore many vintage chronographs. While there are some unique approaches in the different brands there is a common approach and lubrication is just common sense now. I am going to service a Heuer cal 12 and I could "guess" at the lubrication of this very unique chrono I would be thrilled to have a lubrication chart from a service manual if it exists.

Any help with this?

Thanks!

I think the base caliber for the Tag Hour Caliber 12 is an ETA 2892A2 so for the movement side you could just use that one.
But then the chronograph part use to be a 8510 and it isn't any special with that either, chronographs  usually isn't that hard to lubricate, just in case your calibre 12 also has this module i can paste the lubrication procedure.
8510_Chrono.thumb.jpg.3e198497bf198d6ebebb28e5e16645f3.jpg

Edited by HSL
swinglish
  • Like 1

I have a confusion found some links below no lubrication guides no service manuals and one of them appears to be different than the rest? As far as lubrication goes just find a modern chronograph and follow those suggestions.

https://thewatchbloke.co.uk/2018/09/22/heuer-calibre-12/

https://watchbase.com/tag-heuer/caliber/calibre-12

https://watchguy.co.uk/repair-heuer-autavia-buren-12/

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&Heuer_12

• Thanks 1

The base movement was a Buren/Hamilton, and the rest was a mix of Hamilton, Breitling, Heuer, and Dubois Depraz doing the module. There's a good write up on the history at Hodinkee https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/chronomatic-heuer-breitling-hamilton-50th-anniversary

Interestingly in some service literature I've seen they recommend cleaning the module assembled. Since these are all 40 something years old it's best to ignore that and disassemble for cleaning. There are a couple of thin springs in the winding system that really like to disappear. The rotor assembly is not meant to be taken apart, and it's tricky getting oil in to the axle but very important. The click for the auto reversers has a long fragile spring that needs to be carefully managed. Overall it's down on my list of movements I like; I think it was a case of "too many cooks"- but they do work well.

• Thanks 1

I was a bit tired when writing yesterday night and I see it is a bit unclear, a lesson learned, never sleep and write.

Yes there are two different versions of what sometimes is called Calibre 12 one vintage and one modern.
The vintage (which I assume this adress based on the title) is called Chronomatic Calibre 12 and are using the chronograph module shown above 8510. The lower picture is the lubrication scheme from its Tech manual using as usual just two lubricants, Synth-a-lube (Moebius 9010) and Bergeon KT22 (Grease).
This one you can see serviced in three links from @JohnR725  Watch Bloke, Watch Guy and Ranfft and i think described by @nickelsilver

The they made a modern version based on the 2892A2 which is using a Dubois-Depraz 2008 Chronograph module.
For this one I have no lubrication shematics.
This is the link shown to watchbase.com.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HSL said:

bit unclear

this is why it's helpful if the original poster would always post a photo of the watch movement they're asking about. It's not the only time we've had confusions because people either ask the egg questions without showing us the watch or hear where we have more than one watch.

3 hours ago, HSL said:

Dubois-Depraz 2008 Chronograph module.

then finding technical information from that seems to be nearly impossible but I vaguely recall I once found something I just can't remember why or where. They probably be helpful if we knew all the places the module has found itself attached to because that might reveal a data sheet for that watch as opposed to I don't think they give out anything other then look we make nifty modules.

is amazing when you grasp what the problem is you can find like this link

https://omegaforums.net/threads/tinkering-with-a-dubois-depraz-module.38806/

as were just looking for generic guide we find out which Omega watches have a module. The module should be more or less similar I would suggest of someone's taking a module apart take lots and lots of pictures take too many pictures.

So here's the Omega version of one of the modules complete with lubrication

4436_Omega 3220 dubois-depraz-module.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1