Help Fixing Omega Chronostop - Broken Pusher Tube

I thought the pusherkey was a little expensive so i did my own . From a 5 mm stainless steel screw screwed in a wooden handle . Had a friend laserweld an old pushercap to it . The tools have become cheaper since then . Can't u use the old pushercap to screw the new pusher in ?  if you still got it ?  Otherwise i think it's the red handle that fits the omega pushers 3,65 mm .That is what my pusher is  https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/chronograph-pusher-tube-fitting-removing

post-644-0-95867600-1424453812_thumb.jpg

thanks great idea with the old pusher cap. think i'll try that!!

Well worth a try, but be very careful. I tried to unscrew a tube using the old pusher held in a pin vice, it was so tight that it did nasty things to the spline. :( At least screwing it in you can stop soon as it gets reasonably tight.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an ongoing issue with a Breitling pusher.  On another forum was told by a member who worked for 6 years with Breitling that all pushers & crowns are secured with loctite (green) which he thinks is loctite 290. To shift, heat is required but on a crown or pusher it's difficult to achieve without damaging the o rings. I might have found a replacement part from the USA so will not attempt until I see if I have.

Edited by clockboy

Thanks Bob but no. The problem is the pusher screw is bent and has to be to be removed to straighten & remove o rings. Unfortunately Breitling do not supply parts and so it's a real issue here. The Avenger is also made if Titanium so parts are as rare as dragoons teeth. Found screw in the USA but not sure if it fits. Found a pusher cap @ $240  :thumbsd:

Edited by clockboy

No the screw is not titanium. It's one of those jobs that can easerly go wrong. It is not a conventional design either the end of the pusher is loose but magnetic. It,s to improve water resistance. Go to tis web site which explains better than I can.

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/clever-breitling-innovation-improves-under-water-chronograph-watch-operation-with-magnets/

post-234-0-42324100-1425918772_thumb.png

Ok been working on this problem this morning. Apologies first, the pusher has NOT got the detachable magnet as I first thought but the end of the pusher is however detached. The magnetic pusher style is only for their quartz movements.

However the part that I received from  the USA was not correct so I had to straighten the existing parts. See pics attached but basically after stripping the pusher I could see using a loupe that the bend was where the pusher screws into the cap. Despite adding heat the shaft of the pusher still would not move, or to be precise I was not sure if it was moving or braking. So I decided the best option was to straighten it still attached to the pusher cap. I clamped the pusher cap in a a hand held vice and slowly & very gently straightened using a punch that only just fitted over the shaft. Then re-assembled silicone greased the tube & o rings re-fitted & job done. Just need to service the watch now !!!!

Bent Pusher shaft

post-234-0-30508600-1425989831_thumb.jpg

Top of pusher unscrewed

post-234-0-68251000-1425989879_thumb.jpg

Pusher shaft in hand held vice

post-234-0-57725100-1425989942_thumb.jpg

sorry for poor pic but showing the punch used for straightening

post-234-0-36380700-1425990033_thumb.jpg

Pusher assembled & straight

post-234-0-29957600-1425990097_thumb.jpg

Job done phew

post-234-0-16752800-1425990128_thumb.jpg

Good job CB, I do that all the time, you just got high tech for me on this one...I use pliers and eye ball it, trial and error so to speak...so far so good for me...cross your fingers! Your "walkthrough" will be very helpful for me next time I tackle one!

Cheers,

Bob

PS. I've only worked on those in cheapo, non interesting watches for learning though.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi i just thought i'd post back with an update. I finally got a few spare hours to continue trying to repair my omega. I slowly finished reaming the hole out until i could just see the threads. i compared the thread on the omega tap i got from cousins to a new pusher and they seamed the same thread to me (only comparing by sight) so i thought i'd risk it and give it a go. I managed to very slowly clean out the threads using the tap. and have managed to get the new pusher to thread in. Hurray!! (i guess they were the same thread then)

Its a tiny bit from threading in all the way so may have to play around with it a bit more before i put the watch back together, but I'm really happy with the progress so far. So thank you to everyone for the advise and support.

I'm finishing for tonight so will post back with another update soon.

Just out of interest would anyone recomend using some kind of loctite to fix the new pusher tube in or just tighten it to hand tightness? if so what kind would you recomend.

Thanks again

• Like 1