Help Fixing Omega Chronostop - Broken Pusher Tube

Hi

I have an omega chronostop driver edition. the case number is 145.010

The problem i have is that the pusher tube is broken off in the case. I have managed to source a new pusher and tube ref: 086ST0002.

But i can't get the old tube out. i tried to turn it using a small screw driver jammed into the hole but this just shaved the metal off inside the tube so now its thinner.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get it out. i thought about trying to retap it but am not sure of the thread pitch and it seems a bit risky. (After looking on the web i think the thread may be 2mm x 0.25mm pitch but i'm not sure - does anybody know this if i do decide to go down this route. and where i could get a tap form or any advice.

Thanks for any replies

post-712-0-27245100-1424357469.jpgpost-712-0-43768700-1424357470.jpg

Yes - the glass has to come out, I usually push them out with my thumbs, but I have strong thumbs :)

It's an armoured glass and would need to be re-fitted with a press.

To heat it up there are many options. Spirit lamp, candle, lighter - whatever you are comfortable with.

Have the same problem today . Have an old speedmaster  mark II  i really like . One of the pushers was a little strange . So i toke a look  at . The pushers fell right out on the floor . The thread in the case is almost gone . The person before has glued it in place . Arrrgh . I have an idea how to fix but doesn't now where to get the tools ? There is a tap from Omega that is M2,5 x 0,25 mm but cost £28 . Thinking of doing a tube with the thread inside and a bigger outside diameter . Have it laserweld or glued  to the inside . BTW the pushers are loctited in place with the strongest red loctite . So must be heated first .  

post-644-0-61898400-1424379280_thumb.jpg

Do you now where to get a cheaper threading tool ? £28 is expensive if you brake it . Which is very easy with that small size .

Edited by rogart63

Hi

I have an omega chronostop driver edition. the case number is 145.010

The problem i have is that the pusher tube is broken off in the case. I have managed to source a new pusher and tube ref: 086ST0002.

But i can't get the old tube out. i tried to turn it using a small screw driver jammed into the hole but this just shaved the metal off inside the tube so now its thinner.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get it out. i thought about trying to retap it but am not sure of the thread pitch and it seems a bit risky. (After looking on the web i think the thread may be 2mm x 0.25mm pitch but i'm not sure - does anybody know this if i do decide to go down this route. and where i could get a tap form or any advice.

Thanks for any replies

attachicon.gifwatch1.jpgattachicon.gifwatch2.jpg

Think it's the same and it's M2,5 x 0,25 mm . Omega has a tap and it's available at cousinsuk .

Experience tells me don,t buy cheap with threading tools. There is a big difference between cheap & good quality. The cheap ones tend to brake with the slightest of pressure even with plenty of lube.

Could be so but don't now if the Omega one is for doing threads or just cleaning them . i only need 1,5 mm of thread on the tube . Also seeking something in stainless steel . Maybe someone has an old case ? 

If the thread is damaged then re-tapping it may work out. If not I might be tempted to broach it out smooth and use a friction/press fit pusher. Depends on  the circumstances of course. Obviously re-threading to the correct size can only be achieved if there is enough material to do it at the diameter required. If there isn't then the friction fit pushers come in very handy.

Still, I should imagine the chronostop can most likely be saved without drastic action - this is just worst case scenario stuff. Always have a plan :)

• Like 2

Nice one Mark.  

A friend of mine has a Omega chronograph with a pusher problem & his local Jeweller told him it was not possible to fix because the thread was shot

I said I would have a look. I was thinking of just re-tapping but if not possible then your idea could be the answer.

I presume the pusher style replacements are readily available.

Edited by clockboy

I think i may have to resort t otapping tp clean the threads, but put it on hold for now until the new pusher arrives. Is anybody sure the tap size is 2.5mm x 0.25mm. is so i think i may have to fork out for the tap.

Thanks again for all the replies. I'll keep you posted!

rogart63 please post back with any progress you make.

Does anyone know the correct tool reference number or spline tool diameter for the too for fitting the new pusher?

i was just going to gently use pliers originaly but given the problems i'm having getting the old one out i may try and use the proper tool if i ever manmage to be able to fit a new one!

Should be OK but could not find it on the Cousins web site. That,s if it is the correct thread.

I have found when tapping getting it straight is important from the beginning. Then slowly,slowly progress at about a 1/4 turn then reverse to clear any scarf and plenty of lube. George Danels suggests spit but I use oil.

Thanks for the advice I've cut a way most of the old tube so am hoping its more of a cleaning the threads thing i have to do. i stopped cutting away the old tube last night as didn't want to cause damage to the threads until i had at least some kind of plan. i think i'll go for the tap and hope its the correct size.ccut away a bit more of the old tube then try the tap. when it arrives. fingers crossed.

think i'm gonna have to order a spline tool aswell to screw in the new tube as the threads might not be great and i think i'll need all the help i can get to not mess it up. does anybody now the diameter i need  (pusher - 086ST0002, case 145.010) on cousinsuk they seem to come in 4  diameters  Ø3.05mm,  Ø3.33mm,  Ø3.65mm,  Ø4.10mm

It looks like this repair is going to be quite expensive! - still i do love this watch ( ! first saw one when i was 22, it took me 14 years until i could find one and have the money to buy it !!)