Citizen 6001 mainspring

Gaus

Dear watchfriends, I am servicing a Citizen 6001 automatic watch. The automatic spring has a divergent shape. The soldering is on the end. In my opinion you can't wind it with the winder, because of the revers part of the spring a the end. Is it only possible to do this by hand or is there and other solution. Thank you all in advance.

5 hours ago, Gaus said:

Dear watchfriends, I am servicing a Citizen 6001 automatic watch. The automatic spring has a divergent shape. The soldering is on the end. In my opinion you can't wind it with the winder, because of the revers part of the spring a the end. Is it only possible to do this by hand or is there and other solution. Thank you all in advance.

A picture would have helped, please put some for any question.

Anyway, the "tail" attached to the end of the mainspring is sometime called bridle. The different function of the bridle in manual vs automatic is that in the first case provides force to press into a cut on the barrel wall so that it never slips (although different methods also exist, and can slip if it is wound in the wrong direction), and in the latter it just provides additional elastic resistance so that it can slip but not until the mainspring is fully wound.

Also note that the barell doesn't know and doesn't care if it wound by the stem, by the arbor screw, being shacken, on the wrist or by a winder box. As long the barrell arbor in turned somehow, the watch will be wound.

Edited by jdm

Thank you jdm for your response, but my question is, is it possible to use the windingtool (for putting it back in the barrel after servicing), or is it only possible by to do this by hand, because of te tail (this time picture).

IMG_6751.JPG

2 hours ago, Gaus said:

Thank you jdm for your response, but my question is, is it possible to use the windingtool (for putting it back in the barrel after servicing), or is it only possible by to do this by hand, because of te tail (this time picture).

Of course, the tools can wind any type of mainspring as long you have the right bareel and arbor. Once the spring is wound to the right point gently drive the bridle into the slot with your hand.

• Like 1

I think that spring looks a bit funny with some kinks but my eyes might deceive me. Perhaps it would be better to look for a new spring ? It is not available at cousins (listed as obsolete) but it migh still be possible to order a generic one that will fit.