Hello from Lyon, France

Lacazema

Hey everyone,

I'm here because I've decided I'd like to get more "hands on" with watches. I've always like watches, I've worn a watch since I was a child and got my first "real" watch (Seiko Kinetic) for my 11th or 12th birthday.

I like to tinker (computers, mostly) and DIY so the natural next step feels like combining tinkering with watches, right?

I've ordered tools and things off Cousins to get started and I ordered a cheap "running but not keeping time well" seiko off of Ebay to practice on. I've got three weeks off of work in september, nothing planned so great time to get more serious about learning.

The ultimate goal is to be able to service my own watches and not be dependent on watchmakers.

I've come to the forum to take advantage of the wealth of knowledge already posted as well as communicating with the members.

Thanks everyone.

• 6 months later...
31 minutes ago, Michael1962 said:

Welcome to the forum.

I am hoping to get to the same point as yourself. To be able to do these things myself. Have found myself starting out with clocks though.

That is how I started. A simple 30 hour alarm clock then a timepiece, then it's a strike then a chime. Then the french movements right through, French carriage clocks next a timepiece then work your way through to the french grand sonnerie and into the complicated workings. After that bracket clocks all types and then  Longcase clocks.