Bargain?

I spotted this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Colors-Mens-Automatic-Mechanical-Date-Stainless-Steel-Wrist-Watch-Gift-/300903016709?pt=UK_Jewelery_Watches_Watches_MensWatches_GL&var=&hash=item460f37a905 on Ebay and could not believe the price,  most SS bracelets as fitted to this watch are around the £10 mark, it also has a solid SS case and a screw down crown, the automatic movement could well be 21 jewels.  As a value for money watch I doubt very much if it could be beaten,  the price includes delivery.  I have seen absolute junk vintage watches on Ebay at more money, even with sweated labour I don't see how they can sell at the price they do.  I have posted this to see what others views are.

RogerC

Edited by WatchRepairGuy

Look at the feedback rating - 21 negative comments in 1 month - I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. :thumbsd:

I've seen stuff like this on eBay before. The reason that they can do it so cheaply is because the product is actually crap. And you'll probably find that, in spite of its "UK" location, it's actually sent from Hong Kong or sone such.

Edited by WillFly

Super extended bargepole at the ready...for that price I'll go for one just to pull it apart! Just a couple of points why is the crown not screwed down? and why is the bloke wearing it upside down? I'll let you know more when​ err.. if it turns up and if it don't paypal/fleabay will have to cough.

Best of luck! I once bought a mechanical pocket watch for a penny from Hong Kong - just for a lark. It was advertised on eBay - in an auction - with a start price of £0.99, so I bid that and got it. Had to pay £5 postage of course!

It arrived - a skeleton pocket watch made from the flimsiest possible material, weighing nothing and with a small movement inside a plastic circle. It keeps perfect time whenever I wind it and, when it gives up the ghost - as it no doubt will - it goes straight into the bin because the movement can't be taken apart!

The irony is that I've seen these same watches advertised, with great flim-flam, on eBay sites in the UK for a buying price of around £30 - unbelievable.

I never noticed the negative feedback for the seller,  I was so overcome by the price!   Re the crown not being screwed down it could be the watch has a hacking device and they wanted to stop the seconds hand for the picture.  I think the male model is wearing it upside down so that it appears the right way up to us.  Even though I have somewhere over 20 watches I am still mighty tempted.  If Blacklabs order ever arrives I'll see what his opinion is and go from there.

Well, well, well.... it turned up this morning, well packaged & it works.Even comes with a little lens cloth. Got the green bezel on its about a quid cheaper than the other 2. At the time of writing its still going and keeping time.

Bad points:

1. The crown is not screw down as advertised - have asked the vendor to explain.

2. Only the hands are luminous.

3. The bracelet is not brilliant but works.

4. The bezel is slightly out of alignment.

I plan on wearing it for the next couple of weeks to see how it runs, then take it apart for further analysis and report back. Its basicly a cheap clone of the Rolex Submariner so I could buy another 270 of these for the same price, one for each month over the next 22.5 years. First impressions - good, you can't really argue at that price, but its early days yet.

Well it say's screw down crown all over their advert.  It will be interesting to see what the vendor says.  Let us know outcome,  you could always return it if you wanted as it's not as described.  Probably of no great importance unless you plan on scuba diving with it.

RogerC

I sent seller a message asking if the watch has a screw down crown,  " This item have screw down crown"  was the reply,  so it seems odd that yours does not.  Either they all have a screw down crown,  or,  none of them do,  or,  some do and some don't,  which would be very odd.

I think I'll send for one as I am a gambler at heart.

RogerC

Regarding the screw down crown or lack of the seller has responded thus:

'Very sorry to hear about that the item does not work properly. In order to protect your interest immediately with no more waiting, we are very willing to arrange 100% GUARANTEE NO QUESTION ASKED FULL MONEY BACK. For the original item, there is no need for you to return to us in order to save the postage and the valuable time for you. We hope you will not open an eBay case against this transaction or leave us negative/neutral feedback because we are trying our best to remedy this issue for you as soon as we get your further decision. Once again, we apologize for this inconvenience and hope to solve your problems smoothly with mutual understanding. Hope to hear your confirmation soon. Best regards, Dan '

Although they haven't realy answered the question of why it's not there they have been more than fair in their response. I am happy with the purchase and will not be asking for a refund.

Generally they are. One of the big problems with fleabay is buyer power and its misuse. Any of the really big sellers will fall under "you can please some of the people some of the time" problem and always pick up some nasty red marks. With this guy he does tend to give a fair response to the red mark brigade unlike most of the others who either don't reply or get abusive. At the end of the day he is selling cheap goods cheaply, but some buyers seem to expect Champagne quality for Lemonade prices. I do pity the seller sometimes as they can't put negative marks against bad buyers who complain to get a no return refund & seem to be growing in number.

• 3 weeks later...

It still works, keeps reasonable time & looks fairly good. I am happy to report that I haven't been had.

Did take the back off and had a look at the internals......

post-80-0-93752100-1394056445_thumb.jpg

not particularly pretty but all there. 

Well - I have to say, "Well done" - seems to be that you've done well out of it.

It's interesting to see the number of Asian-made movements - quartz and mechanical - that come in a plastic surround. Presumably the one movement can then be adapted to fit a range of slightly different sizes by varying the thickness of the plastic surround and the length of the stem.

Well - I have to say, "Well done" - seems to be that you've done well out of it.

It's interesting to see the number of Asian-made movements - quartz and mechanical - that come in a plastic surround. Presumably the one movement can then be adapted to fit a range of slightly different sizes by varying the thickness of the plastic surround and the length of the stem.

As used on many Seiko watches.

I have noticed with a lot of the Asian cheapies on eBay the sellers are very good at refunds and such. You can't really lose when if its not up to snuff they tell you to keep the watch and they will refund you. I have seen this particular one at the top of the list so often when opening the watch section.

I have a  friend who purchased one of the infantry watches from HK, the B&R look one with the divi/ani read out. He paid $25 and is very pleased with it and from looking at it it looks nice and solid and all the functions work correctly. Best thing is the thick but supple rubber strap.

Just to say that the one I bought runs and keeps good time, the only problem is that being an automatic I do not move around enough to keep it wound up, this would apply to any automatic and not just this one, even a real Rolex. For the price it's a bargain. Mine also is not a screw down crown which I would have liked but no matter. I am going to attempt to build a watch winder in order to keep my few auto's exercised.

• 2 weeks later...

In all fairness what you get is not a bad looking piece of kit for not much money.

I was given one of these cheap replicas as a gift, it did look pretty good even on close inspection and even kept good time. The major problem was the plating. At first glance it looks like stainless steel, but it is actually plated brass. I wore it on a two week motorcycle holiday abroad and between sweat and normal abrasion the plating wore through.

To sum up, great for occasional use but not for everyday use if you want it to remain looking good.

I am a bit of a fan of infantry fan I got the green faced one a year ago for £6.99 and the other two were £11.99 and £12.99 so 3 different styles of watch for just over £30 they all hack and keep good time, got the 'diver' on at work today and my friend said it looks like an £80 watch for the price you just can't go wrong!

13151802963_a05e963730.jpg

Untitled by jorritschrauwers, on Flickr

13151792933_8dc01734a4.jpg

13151674705_9d164123d6.jpg

8662713141_ed338b333b.jpg

IMG_1753 by Jorrit and Hillary, on Flickr