Worth Restoring...another Seiko

jnash

More seiko im afraid, i have no knowledge of seikos but once again it looks like a cool chrono so seeing if its worth the punt or be cheaper to buy it working ! So impressed with the help I thought I'd go again

Thanks in advance

48d59b49bc3af393fddb79c3822632e1.jpg

679d677de49dba80e814152918368e38.jpg

8de21541ff5c3db654a01785f31c70f3.jpg

Agree with Geo, unless you can obtain another dial and glass as the movement looks sound.

The pushers get stuck like that, usually, because the o-rings go hard and brittle. Be careful when you take out the movement ring though as the pusher springs can potentially fly away and go missing :)

I love these Seiko chrono's - 

I agree with the previous posts if you could get replacement dial & hands it would be a great watch. What Seiko,s I have worked on they are easy ish to work on and run great.  Might be worth adding it to your wish list on eBay so you don,t miss one when one is listed.

This what it should look like which is a great looking watch

post-234-0-45235300-1423818783.png

Edited by clockboy

Hi Jnash,

Looks to me that watch sufferred a crystal damage and a lot of carnage to the dial and hands, possibly center pinion and wheel..not too clear.

Movement looks clean.. It is common to find the auto weight bearing worn resulting in damage to the autowind plate but yours seems good.

I would imagine this watch suffered the damage when it was fairly new and got put away so you may have a good movement (see remark on the center pinion/wheels)....but...... I cant figure out the little holes in the dial.. it could be someone was already in there and you may have a mongrel.

I would proceed to tear the movement down, inspect as you go and if its all good then source the parts needed to fix it up

Anil

all sounds correct to me, holes in the dial are for a sub bezel.  i can imagine along with the hands and dial i would need a seconds, cannon aswell as its locked up.

May keep it for a rainy day..

Thanks

One of the all time classics and better than money in the bank. 

all depends if im going to spend more than what its worth.. which im still unsure of, ive been really surprised with seikos for what they have gone for!

based on the case model , this is how it should look , quite nice actually (pic stolen from the site in the watermark)

not the inne bezel (showing markers) layer on the dial

seiko1_1.jpg

Edited by jnash
  • Like 1