Arbor Watches ?

Hi guys 

Hope you are keeping safe and well.

I was donated a watch this morning by my grandmother and I am just looking for some info on these watches and would like to try and get a rough date / model if possible.

I have found a little info, that they were made by a company called Rodana later: Rodania for the UK market but little else. 

Many Thanks in advance 

IMG_20200503_184951.jpg

IMG_20200503_185049.jpg

received_2953805768046953.jpeg

Sorry I have not come across this particular movement but, looking at the movement it is a low grade pin lever with no jewels (apart from the balance). It will be difficult to achieve a top performance due to worn pivots etc but a runnable watch should be achievable.

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.e5fe29fe0a262a4ff0304b1a0875504a.png

image.thumb.png.7bb98e5865a57bea2c04175b580a818b.png

Source -> http://www.mikrolisk.de/show.php?site=280#sucheMarker

.. and some info about Rodania

Rodania_logo.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodania

The movement is a relatively simple pin lever, I would guess from the 1940s or 1950s.

These were/are pretty robust, and are relatively easy to service, but spare parts might be a little tricky to find, depending on which exact movement it is.

It is not a high monetary value piece, but none the less its history and your connection to it gives it value.

It could no doubt do with a clean and a service, to bring it back to its former glory.

Thanks guys 

Haven't stripped it down yet but it seems to have a problem with the balance. I will post an update when I start working on it, and would be nice to at least get it running again. 

Any thoughts or recommendations on cleaning up the watch, asides the movement, very welcome.

The case is pretty tarnished and the plating looks like its almost had it but I don't really want to loose all the history attached to it. 

I was thinking of trying to polish out the yellowing perspex to get a better view of the dial or is it better to leave or just replace it?

The leather strap looks original but is incredibly stiff and the buckle pin has snapped off so I will look around for a new one.

Id like to keep the watch and restore it in a conservative way but don't want to ruin it. 

Not had much experience with these kinds of watches and appreciate any advice. 

On 5/7/2020 at 12:44 PM, Dave84 said:

I was thinking of trying to polish out the yellowing perspex to get a better view of the dial or is it better to leave or just replace it?

The crystal will probably polish. Search in this forum for polishing techniques and suggestions for polishing materials.

The plating can be cleaned, but short of re-plating, not much else will make any difference.

I hesitate to suggest touching the dial, as it looks OK. Cleaning it is possible, but generally requires that it be removed, and that great care is taken when cleaning. Not a particularly necessary job in this case, and not without some risk. 

5 hours ago, AndyHull said:

The crystal will probably polish. Search in this forum for polishing techniques and suggestions for polishing materials.

The plating can be cleaned, but short of re-plating, not much else will make any difference.

I hesitate to suggest touching the dial, as it looks OK. Cleaning it is possible, but generally requires that it be removed, and that great care is taken when cleaning. Not a particularly necessary job in this case, and not without some risk. 

Cheers Andy 

I started taking a look at the watch the other day , it has a BFG 34 movement in it but the balance is damaged, luckily cousins still stocks the parts. with the exterior I think your suggestions are the safest bet and will just go steady with a light clean of the case and crystal. Replace the strap and leave it at that .