Stem shortening

Hi

I need to shorten a stem on a watch I have finished. 

Is it safe to cut it with a dremel and saw. 

Or do I need to buy cutting pliers or a proper stem cutter. 

Also will it be safe to cut the stem in the watch or should I remove it firstly. 

Cheers

Gary

No need for anything sophisticated, the pliers cutting portion of will be fine.
Measure and mark, remove, and cut.
The below should help you.

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1

If you have a way of measuring for correct length, I just use any pliers to cut.

If not, I insert the stem in the movement so it functions, then  slide the stem through the case tube and get the movement in , put retainer ring in place, mark where you think should be cut plus a mm or two extra length.

Take the movement out and remove the stem.

I use a stem holder for good handling, file stem end, round the edges , brush clean, screw crown on, place movement in the case and the retainer ring in, insert the stem with crown attached.

See how much more is to be files off the stem. Remove the stem and take the crown off, file as you think is needed for a good fit.

Approach the correct length of stem in small increments for a perfect fit.

Good luck.

Hi

Yer when I try mail you it says you cannot take mails from me. So I thought you had had enough, and I have printed out the tz great help. I have printed the top plate and bottom plate pics on card and have em on wall in front of me. 

Cheers

Gary

19 hours ago, gary17 said:

Hi

I need to shorten a stem on a watch I have finished. 

Is it safe to cut it with a dremel and saw. 

Or do I need to buy cutting pliers or a proper stem cutter. 

Also will it be safe to cut the stem in the watch or should I remove it firstly. 

Cheers

Gary

Remove, cut and round the edge on grind stone or sand paper, you should brush and rinse the stem, grease the end pivot.