Greetings, experienced members

I have been fascinated by watches ever since I was given a gold capped mechanical Pontiac by my godfather on the occasion of my communion, age seven. As a young adult, I would pick up an interesting find now and then, mostly something dating from the seventies (not cool in those late eighties, early nineties). Then work and family took over until, in my late twenties, a Rolex Datejust rekindled the flame. An interest in the inner workings of mechanical watches took hold and grew ever stronger. Now, in my late forties, the flame has turned into a consuming fire and I am studying to become a watchmaker, in the main to be able to fully understand what makes my little marvels tick and to give them the TLC they deserve. Quite a few sixties and seventies Seiko's have joined the collection, which is slowly morphing into a mixed bag of modest mechanical complications such as gmt's, alarm watches, chronographs and even a DIY quarter repeater conversion, next to some - in my view - iconic dress watches whose aim was to be the ultimate in elegant design and baffling accuracy. My preference goes to older mechanical watches, from a time when inherent quality trumped clever marketing, a myriad of limited editions and - yes, I do see the irony - seeing watches as collector's items. On WatchRepairTalk, I hope to find the kindred spirit or two, and perhaps some advice on repairs, interesting watches and tools. Oh, and innovation. I would like to learn more about that as well, to dispel what I hope is my misconception that true innovation stopped with the co-axial escapement and spring drive. Looking forward to meeting you. K