How to open Helbros (France) case

There is no lip on the back case, don't think it pries off.  Note the watch back stands proud of the case by 1/8 of inch or so.

I pulled the crystal, and have put quite a bit of pressure on the stem - don't think it is split stem.  But, the dial is way to big too go out the back.

I bought a bezel removal tool, it does not move the face bezel at all.  

Any ideas?   Thanks!

WIN_20200303_17_06_43_Pro.jpg

WIN_20200303_17_07_05_Pro.jpg

WIN_20200303_17_07_45_Pro.jpg

WIN_20200303_17_09_21_Pro.jpg

Edited by gaseff
typo

13 hours ago, gaseff said:

There is no lip on the back case, don't think it pries off.

It does. Just go around it with a japanese type caseback tool, its tip may need to be sharpened a little. There are also lever type tools but doesn't look like it's needed for this.

I recommend againat using razor blades, very unsafe and no way to exert and control force without making some of handle. If a caseback knife is not available an x-type knife can work as well. 

Edited by jdm

1 hour ago, jdm said:

I recommend againat using razor blades, very unsafe and no way to exert and control force without making some of handle. If a caseback knife is not available an x-type knife can work as well. 

Thanks for advice Jdm, that explains why I only got one finger left. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Sure! Some very accomplished repairers never use epilame! I have often wondered if it is worth the trouble. Not using epilame will shorten the service intervals though, but that could be better perhaps both for the owner and the repairer!? Speaking of oiling, I just read this: After WWII in the 1950s the first Synthetic Oils came on the market. Most watchmakers did not rush to use these oils since they were bad for business now that the watch serviced with Synthetic oil would not come back to him for service for another 5-7 years he would lose a lot of income. ~Ofrei.com  
    • I read that same article last night  H.  I think epilame is too much headache for me, sources aren't always accurate, some conflicting. Such is the GRAVITY of this situation, Is it ok if i just STICK  to a thixotropic oil 🤣
    • Not sure I follow along. As I stated in one of my previous posts, the epilame will remain intact between rubbing parts as long as the surface is lubricated by oil or grease. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but note how the epilame-treated surface is illustrated in @Waggy's post. It looks like the oil is exposed to a binder (epilame!) so that it can't move sideways.
    • The epilame under the oil will also be removed  Unless the oil makes a barrier between the epilame and the escape teeth 😅 I think i need two strong coffees now 🤣
    • If we use the rub-off epilame method of pallet stones (run dry for a few minutes before applying the epilame) where will the oil go/be transported when it is pushed away from the impulse surface by the escape wheel teeth? Onto the epilame-treated sections of the pallet! Once the oil has been applied/transported to the epilame-treated sections of the pallet where will it then go? Nowhere as the oil will remain on the epilame. So, perhaps the run-dry method defeats its intended purpose leaving the pallet impulse surfaces dry!? If, on the other hand, we do not remove the epilame from the pallet stones where the escape wheel teeth come in contact with them I'd expect more oil to remain where we want it and need it. Yes, I agree, that is the question, and my gut feeling tells me that is exactly the case. Epilame was created to have an adhesive trait and the oleophobic property is just a side effect.