HMT Pilot broken

Hello. I’m really new into watches, so its obvious that when i bought my first watch, HMT Pilot 17 jewel manual wind, i could not resist looking inside the movement and, of course, i messed something up. I don’t quite know what exactly i did, so if you guys could help me find the problem, it would be highly appreciated. I also plan on trying to fix it myself. I already ordered some tools online. 

I’m adding a video with the problem. Basically when i wind the watch, the hands move like crazy and then after a few seconds stop.  As far as i can figure it out, i think there might be something wrong with the balance wheel or the hair spring. 

Welcome here. Most likely you broken the pallet fork pivot(s), that actually takes some poking rather than looking.
While waiting for the tools and few more very cheap watches to practice on I suggest that you read and watch some videos about how a watch work, so you can understand why a broken balance or even a missing one can't make the wheels spin freely. 

Edited by jdm
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, jdm said:

I suggest that you read and watch some videos about how a watch work

Absolutely agree with @jdm since a basic understanding of how a watch works is fundamental to being able to fix it.

This simulation of a Swiss Lever escapement should help. Everything in the wheel train up to and including the escape wheel is simply a gear box. The bit that stops the gear box uncontrolably spinning down the power in the main spring is the pallet fork, and the bit that controls the pallet fork is the balance. However, the design of the pallet fork is such that even if you remove the balance completely the pallet fork will keep the gear box locked. Balance or hair spring issues will not result in a freely spinning train.

You will need to start at the pallet fork and work your way backwards.

Check the pallet stones, are they secure? Then check pallet fork pivots. If they are ok take a look at the escape wheel pivots, then work your way back up the train to find the problem.

As @jdm says the problem is most likely the pallet fork.

Patience is the key.Notice can be forced.The HMT watch is of sound design and quite serviceable, although often quite worn.depending on your location you might want to look at the caravelle 11dp movement it is a Japan made (citizen)twin of the HMT movement. These can be had for a song and parts interchange.Sold as an entry level watch here in the states, they were generally worn until they stopped and never saw service.As such they are generally unmolested.Whereas the typical HMT has been serviced and or repaired several times,by persons who may have known what they were doing.

Hi  Before you dive in and render the watch totally BER. take time to read the attached document , Its a training document by Witschi to run in conjunction with their timing machine. This document explains how watches work and their complexity.  A lot of it will be outwith your experience to date but will for arm you for what you are about to do. You have already received some very good advise from members to follow. I would add that before you get started pick up some cheap working or not working watches to practise on  that way if you break them in your endeavour's no harm done, If you manage to get them going in working condition that would be a bonus and you would have learnt a lot.. 

Witschi Training Course.pdf