What's wrong with this Orient balance

Lc130

9 minutes ago, Lc130 said:

The bridge is flat as far as I can tell.  Am I wasting my time at this point?  Should I keep adding layers of foil?

Thank you

Charlie

The reason for these shims is usually after a new balance staff has been fitted which is a bit tight. The correct procedure is to hone the balance to the correct length. However some movements have them fitted as standard. If when you fit a shim the balance runs freely then you have identified the issue. The decision is to decide if the balance staff is too long or does the lower jewel need lowering a tiny bit. To adjust the height of the lower jewel you need a jeweling tool to move it in accurate small increments. 

If the binding persists until such point that pivot get out of jewel hole, some data is generated, we may not at this stage spot the fault, but the generated data is valuable to narrow down possibilities, to be led to finding the fault.

I doubt anyone can see the bent in a staff or pivots unless under high magnification.

I am sure we will get it fixed, no one can gurantee before hand to spot the fault in certain number of go. We,ll just have to dig until we find it.

Best

Nothing to be embarrassed about. The lesson here is to inspect the balance when installed under strong light and high magnification. I’m glad that you check the end-shake. I actually thought the end shake looked slightly large.