EB 8800 movement

WildBill

1 hour ago, AndyHull said:

Well, the  Voageur was cleaned,  serviced and runs, and has hands and a crystal, but I'm still on the lookout for more correct hands, and a bezel of some sort. I suspect it had a timezone style bezel rather than a dive bezel, but since the watch seems to be pretty unique, I have yet to see another example to compare with.

What remained of the original set of hands looked like those on the Sicura "Marine Star", but the ones I have on it currently are just some vanilla hands I had in stock.

Am I right clicking on "Quote" to answer messages,? well i think you done well, shame you cant find the parts you are after, it must be a rarity not a watch i have come across before.

Cant even throw any idea's your way, only keep looking, I mainly go for old 60s watches, I did make 3 watches from the video that Mark put up Make your own watch buying the parts from ebay they actually came from China, i did one for my Son one for my Daughter and one for myself, they keep very good time, only like to have one project going a time but they can last time while looking for spares.

38 minutes ago, WildBill said:

only like to have one project going a time but they can last time while looking for spares.

I have a number of project watches, all kept in individual containers. I like to try to keep things tidy, otherwise chaos results.

On 10/26/2019 at 8:46 PM, WildBill said:

Yeah thats makes sense, why make it hard, they could have put the 2 small screws on the top of the balance cock where they look like 2 studs.

I would have to take the Balance off from the stud, don't think i want to go down that road.

I have put the balance in lighter fuel for an hour the then put it in ultrasonic cleaner for 10 mins, "still in the fuel"..

Put the watch on the time grapher Rate -2 spd Amplitude 255 Beat error 0.01 Turn  the watch upside down and it looks like a snow storm

It is a 60 year old watch....Thanks for all of your comments

Lighter fluid is suppose to dissolve all oil residue and rinse as well.

Bottle is a barrier to the waves of ultrasonic, projection of waves on parts is most effective if direct from transducer onto parts. Its waves are of sound nature and behaves as such.

1 hour ago, Nucejoe said:

Lighter fluid is suppose to dissolve all oil residue and rinse as well.

Lighter fluid contains additives to stabilize, improve burning, and improve odor. It is not used by professionals and should be avoided, considering that refined petroleum (petroleum ether) is easily available and actually may cost less. 

Then one will hear people saying that they used it for the past 50 years without any issue, but that does not make any of the facts above to be less true. 

1 hour ago, jdm said:

Lighter fluid contains additives to stabilize, improve burning, and improve odor. It is not used by professionals and should be avoided, considering that refined petroleum (petroleum ether) is easily available and actually may cost less. 

Then one will hear people saying that they used it for the past 50 years without any issue, but that does not make any of the facts above to be less true. 

I agree, the quality of lighter fluid does seem, from my limited experience, to be a little variable.

The named brand stuff does appear to be slower to evaporate than the really cheap pound shop stuff and sometimes leaves behind an oily sheen.

Presumably the pound shop brand contains none of the "refinements" of the named brand, so for this application at least, the pound shop stuff may be a better bet. Having said that, I've used both, and both appear to do the job, and I haven't seen any negative effects, but then again, I don't really have enough data to support that statement.

• Thanks 1