Ratchet and mainspring barrel

gary17

Hey

Am I right in thinking when I wind a watch the transmission wheel and ratchet wheel revolve with the winding. 

Is the mainspring barrel also meant to revolve as it attached to the ratchet wheel. 

And if it is supposed to revolve with the transmission wheel and it is not and the transmission wheel connection to the mainspring barrel is fine. Does this mean I have a problem with the mainspring. It looks fine its clean and connected to arbor. 

But with limited experience am I missing something

Cheer

Gary

• Like 1

When you wind, you turn the winding pinion which engages the crown wheel. That engages the ratchet wheel, which is fixed to the barrel arbor. This winds the mainspring up around the arbor. As it unwinds, it turns the barrel. This takes 35ish to 50ish hours on a normal watch. If the barrel turns at the same rate as the ratchet wheel while winding there is a serious issue (entire escapement missing, center wheel derivetted to its pinion...).

• Thanks 1

The crown wheel turns the ratchet wheel which turns the mainspring arbour which winds the mainspring around that arbour. If the watch is working, the mainspring barrel is in fact moving but so slowly that you will not see it as it would fully turn perhaps 7 times when releasing its energy through the wheels to the escapement and released by the palate fork pushing the impulse Jewel and thus causing the balance the rotate. One very long sentence. If the mainspring barrel arbour is freely turning with little or no back pressure on the click and click spring, the mainspring is either not hooked to the arbour or on hooked the the outer mainspring barrel. On automatic watches, the main spring is not hooked to the outer mainspring barrel; rather, outer friction from the outward pressure on the mainspring, with proper grease on the barrel, keeps it from sliding. And only when the mainspring is at its maximum wind does it slip to prevent breakage. It is a coefficient of friction issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro