Filing a Felsa 690 second pinion?

Nost

Hi all just wondering.... My onsa with felsa 690 has a broken second pinion. I have found a replacement but it is too long (there are 9 lengths, all obsolete). Can I file down the replacement? If yes, what would be the best method? 

Thanks in advance

James 

3 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

My vote is nay.

Filing violates watchmakers code of ethics. 

Best Regards

I'm sure it does.. My other hobby is restoration of old computers, repurposing parts to help give life to another unit is not frowned upon as it could mean another 30 years of use rather than being forgotten and eventually thrown away. 

My thinking is similar in this instance

3 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

If the pivot fits the jewel, but is too long, yes it can be shortened. But filing would be tricky without mucking it up. I'd turn it down in a lathe.

Oh.. If I a) had a lathe and b) knew how to use one I would definitely do this... Looks like I'll have to put the watch away for another time... Shame I was really looking forward to wearing this one.. 

As mentioned filing would be difficult but you could try sawing it and then smooth the edge with a diamond file. First you would need a fixture  to hold the part, like drilling a same size hole in a small aluminum bar. It may end not working, but you will have gained dexterity and feeling for this type of jobs.

Edited by jdm

26 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

If you can hold the wheel in a pin vice without doing damage to the wheel. You can stone it down with a Arkansas stone and a little oil. Myself I would use a lathe.

I don't know the exact shape of this part but the problem is that if it has a wheel or pinion you can't use use a pin vice. You need to hold the pivot at the nearest possible point to the cutting, stoning or filing tool.

3 hours ago, Nost said:

I'm sure it does.. My other hobby is restoration of old computers, repurposing parts to help give life to another unit is not frowned upon as it could mean another 30 years of use rather than being forgotten and eventually thrown away. 

My thinking is similar in this insta

Watchpartsorg.uk shows one felsa 690 movement for parts. Have you contacted the owner?

On 8/2/2019 at 9:12 AM, jdm said:

I don't know the exact shape of this part but the problem is that if it has a wheel or pinion you can't use use a pin vice. You need to hold the pivot at the nearest possible point to the cutting, stoning or filing tool.

On 8/2/2019 at 10:25 AM, oldhippy said:

Thats just it we don't know.

On 8/2/2019 at 11:02 AM, Nucejoe said:

Watchpartsorg.uk shows one felsa 690 movement for parts. Have you contacted the owner?

Thank you for all your input, I actually cannot believe that I seem to have lucked out and found a suitable length part... My relief is huge!!!

However, after tempting to oil the lower the balance I have now lost an end stone to the god of the nether world... I am now hunting... for some reason the when i fitted the balance the whole thing just started galloping... I mean it would have run a whole day in a couple of hours... i assumed I hadn't positioned the balance correctly and so started looking.. now I'm 1 cap jewel short...