Introduction

TomFox

Hello. I just found this site after accidentally stumbling upon Mark's videos while browsing motorbike pages on Youtube.... Not what I was expecting, but an interest of mine.

I'm a bit of a lapsed watch fiddler.... I got interested about eight years ago in horology in a very amateur way and fixed a good few clocks and then tried to go to the small stuff. There was a lot to learn and I found working at the tiny level of watches a real challenge, and I bought some old watches on ebay and broke a few pivots while learning the very basics, but in time I was able to take simple wrist watches to bits, to clean them and then put them back together. I'll never make a watch repairer let alone a watchmaker, but I have enjoyed the challenge.  I said I was a lapsed watch fiddler - I haven't done any messing with watches for about a year, but Mark's videos have inspired me to get my tools back together and I think it is about time my 6498 clone Seagull Pilot Style watch had a clean and re- lube, so in the next week or two I will get at it and do the job.

I'm a bit of an iconoclast though and will probably lube it with some fully synthetic motor bike oil - SAE 5-40. I used some nice two stroke oil last time I did it. The thing keeps time to about -20 seconds a day. I have another ST16 Seagull auto watch which I lubed up with the same stuff five years ago and it keeps time to about +2 to -2 seconds a day and has done since I rebuilt it and used the same oil. I've worn it and run it for at least three years solid so it has had some use. :))

I'm 68 by the way, so no young 'un, but I do have quite a steady hand - as long as I stay off the strong coffee.