newbie from cambs

quantieme

Hello all, my name is Tony waterman i'm 58 and live in Benwick near march Cambridge. I have been interested in watches since  i got my first one at the age of 10 a tick a ticka timex, i can still remember it like it was yesterday. From that day watches fascinated me a micro-mechanical machine that sat on your wrist took copious amounts of abuse and still worked. I have been fixing and repairing watches now for about 15 years as a hobby and now and then the odd repair for a friend, i have no formal training but it is something i really enjoy although it baffles my wife. I hope to pick up more hints and advice on this site and look forward to interacting with everyone.

Hello Tony and welcome. I don't think your on your own on he wife front I often show my wife my latest purchase or repair and always get the same reply " lovely its a watch" they don't understand at all that you in your mind have performed a minor miracle in resurrecting it back to life.

i couldn't of put that better myself, the sense of achievement when i get a watch working  is what makes the cursing and swearing all worth while especially when a part flicks off into the ether and the wifes shouting up the stairs how much longer you going to be when your at the peak of concentration, yes they have no idea what you have acheived.