Revisiting an old hobby

AndyHull

A "Regulateur" pin set pocket watch (or some bits of one) is heading my way.

AsPurchasedFront-l1600.thumb.jpg.cb3ddf920d714c4aa6df3f29b4d6b921.jpg

AsPurchasedRear-l1600.thumb.jpg.1f90785c9f48af0963d20a347881269d.jpg

I'll admit I bought this for the case, which appears to be in reasonably good shape.

There is a pretty high likely hood that the worrying collection of bits in that tobacco tin should actually be in the watch. However since it only cost me 0.99p I think its worth the risk that it might be incomplete.
Besides I have a fair number of homeless movements, so perhaps one of those might wind up in this case.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, AndyHull said:

A "Regulateur" pin set pocket watch (or some bits of one) is heading my way.

AsPurchasedFront-l1600.thumb.jpg.cb3ddf920d714c4aa6df3f29b4d6b921.jpg

AsPurchasedRear-l1600.thumb.jpg.1f90785c9f48af0963d20a347881269d.jpg

I'll admit I bought this for the case, which appears to be in reasonably good shape.

There is a pretty high likely hood that the worrying collection of bits in that tobacco tin should actually be in the watch. However since it only cost me 0.99p I think its worth the risk that it might be incomplete.
Besides I have a fair number of homeless movements, so perhaps one of those might wind up in this case.

If that 3-arm balance belongs to the watch, I do believe you may have found yourself a cylinder escapement.

44 minutes ago, KarlvonKoln said:

If that 3-arm balance belongs to the watch, I do believe you may have found yourself a cylinder escapement.

I suspect you are correct. I'll let you know once it makes it to the bench. I found a similar example online (complete) that the seller appeared to think he could get >$1000 for. You have got to admire their optimism. There was a second version with a lever escapement movement in it. As I said, the case was what caught my attention (and of course the 404 club price).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice article. Good to see that a young man (44) is making his own - even if based on an older design.

It sure is pretty.

Also, there are several other articles that might be of interest at the bottom of the linked story (which also has some additional photographs although I think that the watch shown "in stainless" is a CAD rendering).

Hi Andy  thats some timepiece it oozes quality with or without the shock protection. Love the clean simplicity if the dial and hands , and the recessed seconds register is a nice touch  At 61,000 I dont think I would be buying one but would prefer it to a Rolex any day Like wise one from Roger Smith.

There is a distinct family resemblance to the pocket watch I picked up a few weeks ago.

LeCoultreStylePWRear.thumb.jpg.9fe2dcaf40de14fdeed5cbae0d0a8bbd.jpg

There is an incomplete list of LeCoultre calibres here -> https://www.mikrolisk.de/show.php/209/chapter_122

image.thumb.png.ab4f83ece7d807ae15b2eb8ae98a3bc3.png

.. and a similar original 19th century piece here -> https://www.carsten-antik.de/images/produkte/1564150302789/JacqueAlfredJürgensenAnkerChronometer160g1873(12von18).jpg

12 hours ago, watchweasol said:

At 61,000 I dont think I would be buying one but would prefer it to a Rolex any day Like wise one from Roger Smith.

I'm in two minds about that. The Yosuke Sekiguchi piece has a unique aesthetic that appeals to me  far more than the Rolex, but the Rolex would be a much more practical watch to own. I suspect the Yosuke would appreciate in value more than the Rolex, but the Rolex would be easier to sell if I needed to.

Do I have to choose? Can I not have both? Admittedly I'll need to win the lottery to be able to splash that kind of money on such purchases, but I can but dream. 

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1

Reading about Yosuke Sekiguchi and his Primevere was very heartening.  It inspired me to look around and see who else might be building mechanical watches from scratch.  And I found this young man here in the states:   
https://weisswatchcompany.com/

Anyone here heard of Weiss?  I can't say I've run across one yet.  The website paints a pretty picture, but I think it would be interesting to have one in front of me.

• Like 1

Another orphaned movement is on its way. This one is inscribed J&W Whitham, Bingley.AsPurchasedFront-l1600.thumb.jpg.f79d1ba63b50afdecd5c8b2a4518f470.jpg

AsPurchasedRear-l1600.thumb.jpg.68a22c0375d0a757106b9097c31dd595.jpg

I couldn't find much about the maker, but the retailer ( J & W Whitham ) does seem to have fallen foul of the inland revenue around 1890.

"The inland revenue authorities are bestirring themselves a bit again, and a number of convictions have recently been obtained for selling plate without a proper licence. Messrs. J. and W. Whitham, Jewelers, of Bingley, were fined £10  and costs for selling a gold albert of 2 ozs. 11 dwts. whilst only holding the minor or 2 oz. licence."

Source -> https://archive.org/stream/watchmakerj1718911892lond/watchmakerj1718911892lond_djvu.txt

For what its worth, the orphaned movement cost about half of the inland revenue's fine.
£10 in 1890 was a considerable amount of money.

Edited by AndyHull

• 2 weeks later...

Today's Youtube recommendation. Ever wondered how that Bun Special was put together. Now you know. Some very interesting 1920s manufacturing methods are shown.

Another Youtube recommendation, this time something almost certainly unique.

Edited by AndyHull

Waltham-Tisso(Ladies)2Rotarys(ladies)UnknownPW(Ladies)Faces2-l1600.thumb.jpg.7f1a8ba3226dc2083a2b6a02da62c22b.jpg

Waltham-Tisso(Ladies)2Rotarys(ladies)UnknownPW(Ladies)Rear-l1600.thumb.jpg.62ec3f4ddcea646d0ff25c715cbcc89b.jpg

Some slightly beaten up looking parts movements including a Waltham with twisted hands, two Rotary ladies, one Tissot ladies and an unknown ladies pocket watch. All qualify for the 404 club, bit the Waltham is the one I was most interested in. At just over a pound per movement, I'm pretty sure I'll get some value from them.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1

AsPurchasedDial-l1600.thumb.jpg.5caba4d15bb64ee32dfc3be107f726bd.jpg

AsPurchasedMechanism-l1600.thumb.jpg.7426465eba0f2caffcfd27091a0fb0d2.jpg

Two more 404 club pocket watches on their way.

The first one is optimistically described as having a good balance. Not sure I would agree, but the dial and case are good, so hopefully any other issues can be corrected.

AsPurchasedMechanism-l1600.thumb.jpg.37425c745b7d1c1948a71670e5f19a29.jpg

AsPurchasedDial-l1600.thumb.jpg.acb0cf0348ce0b7c4ce8c1dc5c37080d.jpg

The second one is also a little rough around the edges, and also described as having a "good" balance.
That loose screw is a little bit worrying.
However since they were both 404 club candidates, I'm not too worried. Worth it just for the cases I would suggest.

AsPurchased3-l1600.thumb.jpg.37475b1e45db23fefe105176a71c91fe.jpg

I picked up this curious little "Professional Watch Electrical Demagnetizer Tools For Watch Repairing Maintenance" from ebay, as much to see if it actually works as for any other reason. Expect a teardown and a few thoughts on it when it arrives and I get a chance to play with it.

• Like 1

Wow! A battery powered electronic demagnetizer for about 10 bucks! I look forward to your upcoming report. For me the open question is whether two AA-Batteries can create a magnetic field that is sufficient.

Edited by Kalanag

19 minutes ago, Kalanag said:

Wow! A battery powered electronic demagnetizer for about 10 bucks! I look forward to your upcoming report. For me the open question is whether two AA-Batteries can create a magnetic field that is sufficient.

That is the million dollar question.

I suspect they can, since all they need to do is dump a bunch of energy into a coil, hopefully with some kind of oscillator.

A couple of AA batteries can actually kick out a reasonable amount of current and thus power, at least for a short duration, which is all that is required in this case. This is  due to the relatively low internal resistance of alkaline cells. Therefore there is a good chance it will work.

It all depends on how cheap the solution is. My guess is that there is a large capacitor and the coil, and *maybe* a transistor or two set up so self oscillate with either a momentary switch or possibly a click on/off switch... Who knows?

One other possibility is that they have re-purpose a mobile phone style wireless charging circuit.

Of course it might just be a plastic box with some battery tabs, and a Chinese label, in which case I may feel compelled to improve it and make it work. Time will tell.

If it does work as I describe, then it probably causes massive, all be it transient local interference in the RF spectrum, which is a bit of a bonus. 😋

Edited by AndyHull

4 hours ago, Kalanag said:

You might be right with the slowly charged capacitor feeding a high frequency oscillator that produces a decreasing magnetic field. If it works I‘ll order one too. 🙂

You will need to wait a few weeks for the answer to whether it works, as it will be subject to the usual elastic delivery times from China, unless you want to take the risk and just get one for yourself anyway, for the fun of it.

Speaking of buying stuff for the fun if it.

AsPurchasedDial-l1600.thumb.jpg.1a50cc9263834363359faeaf63fcbba2.jpg

AsPurchasedDial-l1600.thumb.jpg.fbc9a380b008259c952910c3a553a60f.jpg

AsPurchasedDial-l1600.thumb.jpg.ad371f8dc73778696b0ce906349fc334.jpg

AsPurchasedMechanism-l1600.thumb.jpg.4965c03b3a24899a48433c31a81ae30d.jpg

AsPurchasedDial-l1600.thumb.jpg.7318e7f213d51a1c6b9a62ecfbd99c9f.jpg

AsPurchasedMechansim-l1600.thumb.jpg.600ce9d6efc6b34ffdddf29e18bb2951.jpg

Some more 99p pocket watch mechanisms are on their way.

I purchased these mainly for parts.

I'm curious about the last one, which was touted as being an "Omega".
Possibly it is a close relative of this -> http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Omega_19LOBNN

Sadly it is missing its balance. It does appear to have an Omega stamp, so I may have to see if I can get it running, though goodness knows where I would find a suitable balance for it.

Edited by AndyHull

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another 99 pence orphaned movement, with a little bit of local history thrown in for good measure.

AsPurchased1c-l1600.thumb.jpg.8cb17b0c6f78a5c87bf3f6e98175b1dc.jpg

AsPurchased5-l1600.thumb.jpg.bdaa25001ab777e42c7c8a51f96853f7.jpg

Marriage: 10 Feb 1867 St Paul, Warrington, Lancs.
Robert Scanlan - 21, Watch Maker, Bachelor, Sankey St.
Mary Angela Johnson - 18, Spinster, Orchard St. Preston
    Groom's Father: James Scanlan, Traveller
    Bride's Father: John Johnson, Watch Maker
    Witness: Joseph Roberts; Margaret Roberts, (X)
    Married by Licence by: John D. Massingham
    Register: Marriages 1865 - 1869, Page 95, Entry 189
    Source: Original Parish Register

Thirty days hath September, April, Tuesday, and November. 😉

WTF-cropped-l1600.jpg.6934280a767c61ed95b909cb96a0b8ea.jpg

Bidding on ebay ends soon, so if you want it you better be quick.

If badly printed dials are not your thing, then perhaps this will float your horological boat.

AsPurchased-l1600.thumb.jpg.349b75ddb8389a834694b827fff4e153.jpg

Have you just spent a fruitless few days fighting through the crowd of fanbois trying to get the latest and greatest Omega Moon Swatch, only to be beaten back by the zombie hordes. No matter, just trawl around on ebay and you can have the next best thing. A Swatch Irony in a bundle of tat equally desirable quartz watches for under a fiver for the lot.

This is the latest potential entry to the 404 club.

Before you ask, yes you probably can take this one apart, unlike the "Moonswatch" which I believe contains a completely un-servicable swatch chronograph movement, with a crystal laser welded to the (plastic, described as something space age) body and a debased Omega logo on the dial. Just my opinion however, the Moon Swatch may be the best watch ever invented, since I haven't actually seen one in the fanboi zombie dripping flesh.

This particular Swatch was accompanied by an Accurist, a Ravel, and a "GMT London" (not actually as terrible looking as it sounds), one or more of which may or may not work. Time will tell. I will of course post pictures of any that I restore.

NOTE: The author of this remark has a love hate relationship with Swatch, and may not be the best judge of all things Swatch related. So with that in mind, here is one I prepared restored earlier.

Closeup2.thumb.JPG.e2e38a21e1c17321342f41c3e61f9af6.JPG

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Time for a quick drift off topic once more..

A few months back, I was doing a little tidying up and realised, we have quite a large collection of cassette tapes, but the only tape player we currently have that is functional, would hardly do justice to any of them.

So with that in mind I had a quick hunt on every-bodies favourite flea market, ebay. I should know better by now.

Initially I wondered if I might even be able to pick up a 404 club cassette deck.

Perhaps I should explain my thinking a little further.

Back in the day, I used to do board level repairs of electronic equipment. Computers, CRT monitors, tape drives, hard disks, amongst other things, so my idea was to see if I could find a quality deck, in need of a little TLC and do it up.

So.. naturally.. I bought two.

A Denon DRW-650 double cassette tape deck, and as a bit of a long shot, a Memorex SCT-88.

There were many more, some of which I no doubt drooled over in the HiFi stores back in the day, but those two looked like they were good candidates for restoration.

The Memorex is actually a re-badged Aiwa RD470 or possibly the similar spec R40. Either way it has the quirky Aiwa quick reverse mechanism which made it a bit of a "sort of 3 head" system. These units were also sold by Tandy with their in house Optimus branding.

The Denon was a fiver and the Aiwa, a little more at eight pounds, with of course a similar amount for shipping. Both are listed as untested spares or repair, where "untested" is ebay speak for "I did switch it on, and it didn't work, so I'm going to list it as untested spares or repair".

I suspect they will both need cleaning, lubrication,  belts, a head clean and degauss and alignments and a motor speed check.  I probably already have suitable belts in my stash, so fingers crossed, I'll soon be cranking out those old dolby enhanced tapes like its 1989.

It seem that cassette decks have fallen out of fashion for the time being. Although some of the really high end 3 head systems are still selling for thousands, there are actually quite a large number of good pieces of quality equipment at relatively low prices.

So.. for good measure, I picked up a Dual CS503-1 HiFi Turntable. Also listed as spares or repair, but looking pretty clean and complete with original cartridge. That cost a little more though at just over twenty pounds.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 2