What crystal model works with crystal lift?

teegee

I have a generic ETA 2824 watch that came with a completely incorrect and ill-fitting acrylic crystal. It's a rather annoying case design that removes the movement via the front, so a crystal lift is required. The back also needs to be opened, to release the stem.

I ordered a new Sternkreuz HW high-dome crystal from Cousins, thinking that I could use my lift to insert it, but the dome shape is too slanted, and the lift won't grab it. My lifter is a old-school version of the modern Indian/Chinese ones (as pictured below) -- probably older than I am.

Does anyone know what kind of crystal model I need to order for use with a lift?

Question 2: Has anyone tried the cheaper high-dome crystals Cousins offers? They are called "DPA watch crystals". I normally install Sternkreuz N-series low-dome crystals.

s-l225.jpg

Hi,

HW glasses are easy to grip. Maybe your tool has an issue or the glass sits so very deep in the case that the steep glass edge vanishes.

Do you have a picture?

The cheap glass assortments were discussed here already.

Frank

• Like 1

• the "multi claw tool"  is only going to work on some crystols.  the crystol shape (lunate, semi lunate - etc.)  is not your problem ,  it is how it fits into the "bezil area".  that why the original type crystal is best.  if i find the best way to install a troublesome one is to remove the mvt., and press it in from the back with the proper tool or your thubs.  vin

7 hours ago, vinn3 said:
  • the "multi claw tool"  is only going to work on some crystols.  the crystol shape (lunate, semi lunate - etc.)  is not your problem ,  it is how it fits into the "bezil area".  that why the original type crystal is best.  if i find the best way to install a troublesome one is to remove the mvt., and press it in from the back with the proper tool or your thubs.  vin

thumbs?

15 hours ago, praezis said:

HW glasses are easy to grip. Maybe your tool has an issue or the glass sits so very deep in the case that the steep glass edge vanishes.

Do you have a picture?

Sure!

crystal-lift.jpg.e9ab33b45d842ebb8ac02604bb2f34b9.jpg

The cheap glass assortments were discussed here already

OK. I tried searching for permutations of "[cheap] glass assortment", but haven't seen anything so far.

Cheers!

Rob

13 hours ago, vinn3 said:

The movement can't be installed from the back because the dial is too big. So the movement has to be installed from the front, then the glass fitted. Then the stem is installed and the back is closed. 

I took some more piccies:

1) Original crystal that is only held (lightly) by the dial itself. Totally incorrect.. 

rotary-1.jpg.34a997b2b52a26fd3ad665a6a059d587.jpg

2) Without crystal. Bezel fitting is normal V-shape that should take a normal slanted bezel.

rotary-2.jpg.800f9cda56c0e0689f42cf12a7e017cf.jpg

3) New bezel lying loosely on top of watch

rotary-3.jpg.7a088e481ea81d4333695dcdec2f7fdd.jpg

4) Back of watch

rotary-4.jpg.eecd00586ef3f329f4bbb59c6f456483.jpg

On 7/26/2018 at 1:41 PM, clockboy said:

I found the Chinese crystal lift tool was poor and did not work . However the Used Bergeon lift tool I purchased works great. I have read the Chinese crystal lift tool does work if the claws are dressed.

I have a Chinese one and it is the only tool of any make that has not needed correction. In fact it works very well indeed but of course will not work with every type of crystal.