VWatchie

Mostly Russians, and few Japanese and Swiss

Careful examination of the stub of "gold" to the left might give some clues. It looks as though there was a metal tab attached to that, and floating on that plastic washer, but that may now be missing.

If you had another mech to compare, obviously that would be a help.

Maybe try a small copper wire screwed to that left hand screw and placed on top of the plastic washer, then refit the battery and see if it springs to life.

Thanks Andy, I can’t see any pics ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see it now it’s just come through on my phone

Also take a look at this pic. of a similar mechanism.

I suspect that Timpsons are fitting the battery incorrectly.

The left hand screw/gold plate, needs careful cleaning, and the right hand tab needs fitting *UNDER* the battery, but above the plastic washer, and insulated in such a way that it doesn't short out the cell at the edge, so perhaps it just needs bent correctly to be recessed in at the right hand side of the battery holder to avoid contact with the edge of the battery. In other words the +ve of the battery looks to be connected to the left hand contact, and the -ve appears to be connected to the right hand contact (avoiding shorting things out in the process). The cell is an SR920SW, which are cheap as chips.

600x615xpoljot_quartz_1980s4.jpg.pagespeed.ic.TTlml-5PBX.jpg

One more point. If they fitted a new battery, and shorted it out, then it is probably dead  by now, so test it with your multimeter, and if it is weak, replace it.

Thanks Andy

On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 6:58 AM, BUSAKAZ said:

Hi Andy thanks for the advice I’ll give it a go when I get a min and report back.

Thanks Kaz

Hi all an update, after completely stripping the movement it was completely covered in battery gunk so put the parts in the cleaner and new battery and all is well :thumbsu:

Thanks for the update. Glad it is now working. :biggrin: Can we expect to see it in all its glory in "Watch of Today" it would be nice to see it face up with a decent strap on it.

Edited by AndyHull

Thanks for the update. Glad it is now working. :biggrin: Can we expect to see it in all its glory in "Watch of Today" it would be nice to see it face up with a decent strap on it.

cb5c361b881eecd81dc825ce221892bd.jpg

Here it is

I've now been wearing my red and black radio room Amphibia/Albatros (first picture of the first post in this thread) for exactly one month since I last regulated it (Vostok cal. 2409 manual). December 27th it was 29.5 seconds late, and today it's 32.5 seconds late. It has lost three seconds in a month! It's been a long time since I wore a quartz watch, but as I remember it, those weren't much better than that over time. Of course, it largely depends on how the watch is worn, stored and wound, but nevertheless, I'm "blown away"! Who said Russians weren't up to the Swiss!? ;)

1 hour ago, JBerry said:

In Bulgaria for a week, thought you might like to see my haul to date :)

Beautiful watches and I believe I see a theme! Thanks for sharing!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now