east3rn

general question on mainspring

Question

Hello. I am a reckless novice in the field of watchmaking and I always risk breaking parts when I work on watches.

Of the parts, I often get confused about how to put back the mainspring in the barrel. 

Most of times, I make mistake by winding it back in to the barrel in wrong direction and mainspring gets curved the other way. (I do this by hand since I have no mainspring winder)

Is there a tip on how to get started in correct direction??

3 answers to this question

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Lenj
      Hi all,
      Strange I have two Fema clock movements to repair, both with broken mainsprings and one with a broken click spring, can you please tell me, are the click springs readily available???has anyone bought one, if so where from?
      Photo attached of good click spring, this is the type that I need.. 
      Hope you are all well..
      Thx Len

• By m1ks
      Hmmm, kind of!
      But........ It shows great potential as a hobbyist alternative, with some tweaking.
      After a back and forth with @Andyhull on another thread it got me to thinking perhaps it's not as useless as my initial annoyance led me to think, (I broke a mainspring trying it but to be fair the spring had been previously abused and the tool wasn't ideally sized allowing the coils to jump and tangle).
      I had a bit of a resize with sanding stick and scalpel and tried again and it's certainly got promise, I need to tweak the file to suit specific barrels but it's a simple quick 3 part print using barely any filament.
      Obviously not anywhere near as good as the proper bergeon winder but definitely cheaper for the hobbyist, (even if you haven't already got a printer and had to buy one first).
      Here's a video of it if anyone is interested, comments and ideas are welcome.

• By Plusfoursmax
      Hi,
      I have a Rotary Monza I am fixing up. I disassembled the barrel and removed and cleaned the mainspring. I secured a copy of the parts list and it shows that as well as the mainspring, there is also a Brake Spring (part 775 on the picture). What is it, and do I really need it? Certainly Cousins does not sell it. I googled AS 1902 brake spring and ONE result came up of a Russian watch forum discussing this item. Apparently it is thicker than a normal spring and it seems to have some sort of bent over feature on it. Can I just make one using the old mainspring? If so, how long should it be? Is it really necessary?
      https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&u=http://forum.watch.ru/showthread.php%3Fp%3D5196915&prev=search
      ROTARY Monza AS 1902.pdf
    • By DouglasSkinner
      Recently replaced the mainspring in a vintage watch (a Westfield 7j).  Cleaned and lubricated watch.  Worked fine for several days.  Now I have a problem in which it stops before the mainspring is fully unwound--power reserve appears to be less than 24 hrs, but I haven't done a precise check.  Just noticed this morning that it was stopped at about 0530.  Prior to this the watch had good power reserve and the mainspring fully unwound--power reserve over 30 hrs.  What kinds of things might cause this?

• By DouglasSkinner
      I have an ETA 2750 movement and I need to replace the mainspring.  My catalogs don't cover this caliber.  The current mainspring, based on my measurements has the dimensions Dennison (Metric), W: 5 1/2 (1.45 mm), T: 9 (0.13 mm), L: ~ 14 1/2" (368 mm).  However, due to its age and the fact that it's been serviced before I'm not completely sure the old spring is the correct one.  So my first question is are these the right dimensions for the proper mainspring for the 2750?
      My second question is does anybody know some part or catalog numbers for the correct mainspring by some different manufactures of springs, such as Marco, Nu Vigor, Sandsteel, etc.?  I have some cabinets of mainsprings from which I might be able to get one but I need to know the a catalog/part number--some number I can cross reference to what I have.  Hope this makes sense.  Thanks.