Question On Determining Service Needs?

Gary

So I have a question about service and service intervals. What criteria do you use for service? Timekeeping -+ or determined schedule regardless?

Just curious and looking for a best practices approach ?

My take would be five to seven years between services with new synthetic oils. If you buy an old watch without history, then better to have it serviced as soon a s possible. I'm sure other will have different views.

Hi,

A watchmaker years ago gave me his business card. I don't remember how long ago that was but you can tell how worn it is now. On the back he explains his theory of service intervals. Of course things have changed with the times but I just like the card. I took a picture with my smart phone but I think you should be able to read it.

Charles K

post-250-0-62251300-1412718787_thumb.jpg

I love the card, thank you for posting Charles!

Now the question is settled and the formula found. No half years and round up (0.6 > 0.5 = 1 :

New formula: 5 years +7 years +2 years ┐- 4 =14/3  ┐- 4 = 4.666666666666667  ┐- 4 = 5 - 4 = 1 :woohoo-jumping-smiley-emoticon: 

Look at the whole watch.

If the case is reasonable tight.. (waterproof is good). and used normally. then I'd say you're good for 5 years. This is for good quality newer watches like omega, seikos... you get the idea. Not only is dust getting in the case a problem.. if the watch is not reasonably tight the oils will dry out faster.

If the watch is not wterproof and / or sees rough use I would adjust the interval to around 2 years, talk to the owner to see how he plans to use the watch. Russian watches have a combination of poor cases and designed with a weaker mainspring than is usually found in a similar swiss watch.. hence need to be serviced more regularly.

Watches with hi-beat (36000bph) needs good fresh oil.

Chronos need servicing at 5yrs ... anything more is pushing it.

Dress watches with slim mvts have less powerful springs and fine pivots (less energy available) and need more frequent servicing. Dress watch cases are also pretty easily compromised! You will usually see them coming in regularly for service as they spend a lot of time in the drawer waiting for special occassions and the oil dries out.. result non-running watch.

then maybe learn

As Geo said, if you dont know the history... get it serviced.

HTH

Anil

Some watches have weak points.. the intermediate winding gear on the automatic module on some Zenith chronos is a good example. On a lesser note, seikos are generally fine but the rotor bearing inariably wears.

Rolexes will tolerate a lot of abuse due to the integrity of the case but you will sometimes come across models with a lot of wear as the robust movements keep on working ... worn rotor bearings is common on older rolexes.

• Like 1

So my Benrus just had the winding stem fall out. Will not wear it tomorrow :D. Guess what watch is on the table for a strip and clean (FIRST). Then the hour hand disintegrated. But my question is what can I clean the dial with? It looks like tarnish or a grayish gummy substance? Posting photo. Any direction?

post-337-0-22130600-1412744191_thumb.jpg

I don't think that watch dial is salvageable..I looks like the paint (silvered?) is flaking off and any further intervention will lead to more of it dissappearing.

Cleaning is one thing but how do you clean something that is missing?

Redial is an (expensive) option, does the watch have sentimental value? 

Before commiting to a redial, I would service it.. no point having a nice dial but later discovering the movement has issues which costs more money! A lot of these older watches have cracked jewels... they still run but to get it done right means replacing the jewel/s and not many people do that anymore...(expensive!).

Also these dials look bad outside the case but once you get it back in the case it may not be so bad.. some of them had chunky cases and crystals so the bad dial may not be so obvious. Try to mildly polish the hands and use a toothpick with the point cut to a chisel shapr to clean up the hour markers on the dia, you may find that its not that bad after all!

Anil

Hi Gary, use a cotton bud dampened with a very dilurt solution of washing up liquid and very gently swab the dial. Finish swabbing with clean water to ensure that all traces of detergent is removed.

You could also try a cotton bud and iso-propyl alcohol, but try it on an edge first to make sure things are OK before doing the whole dial.

Do not use cellulose thinners, acetone or an ultrasonic cleaner, all will damage to the delicate finish.