1961 Bulova 23j - missing movement spacer

I'm not 100% sure of the terminology for this component but I'm missing the movement "spacer" for this Bulova 23j with a 10BZAC movement. The watch opens through the crystal and my understanding is there should be a thin metal ring that sits between the movement and the case back. Without this piece the movement is supported only by hanging on the dial and is a little loose in the case. This watch has definitely been more trouble than it's worth but this was my first tear down and the watch has sentimental value. I'm having trouble tracking down any kind of suitable replacement or even information for that matter so I'm hoping the forum might be able to help me out with a few questions:

1. Can anyone confirm if this watch should have the type of spacer I'm describing? A picture of what I should be looking for would be immensely helpful.

2. Do I have any other options for securing the movement in the case? Has anyone ever had luck fabricating a suitable spacer?

IMG_7470.jpg

IMG_7472.jpg

IMG_7356.JPG

Hi Tumbler, I have your watch listed under the Bulova Service Manual but there is no reference to the ring that you require. How about a  Nitrile 70  "O" ring of the correct diameter and cross section or maybe modify the plastic ring from a scrap quarts watch. "O" rings are available by the million from your local bearing supplier. Sorry I cannot be of more help. Best regards, Mike.

7 minutes ago, ecodec said:

Hi Tumbler, I have your watch listed under the Bulova Service Manual but there is no reference to the ring that you require. How about a  Nitrile 70  "O" ring of the correct diameter and cross section or maybe modify the plastic ring from a scrap quarts watch. "O" rings are available by the million from your local bearing supplier. Sorry I cannot be of more help. Best regards, Mike.

Mike - Thanks for the feedback! Is it possible that I'm just missing the appropriate "split ring" that attaches to the crystal and contacts the dial when pressed together?

Scott

4 minutes ago, Tumbler said:

ecodec - Thanks for the feedback! Is it possible that I'm just missing the appropriate "split ring" that attaches to the crystal and contacts the dial when pressed together?

Could be. Looks like there is a ring but it has to big of a gap. Either someone has used a tension ring from a generic crystal or it's the original that has been modified to fit in a generic crystal. Maybe get a donor watch to get the right parts from. Can you show us how it looks inside. 

Edited by rogart63

2 hours ago, rogart63 said:

Could be. Looks like there is a ring but it has to big of a gap. Either someone has used a tension ring from a generic crystal or it's the original that has been modified to fit in a generic crystal. Maybe get a donor watch to get the right parts from. Can you show us how it looks inside. 

I pulled the watch back apart. I just had it at a watch repair place where I had a crown fitted (original was missing). He was also the one who added the ring below the crystal and told me I needed to find this "spacer" to lock down the movement. From what I can tell the ring has been modified or re-purposed and is not thick enough to provide sufficient contact with the dial. I've included a picture of the inside of the case and other relevant parts. Perhaps all I need is the correct ring below the crystal?

IMG_7477.jpg

IMG_7479.jpg

IMG_7478.jpg

14 minutes ago, Tumbler said:

I pulled the watch back apart. I just had it at a watch repair place where I had a crown fitted (original was missing). He was also the one who added the ring below the crystal and told me I needed to find this "spacer" to lock down the movement. From what I can tell the ring has been modified or re-purposed and is not thick enough to provide sufficient contact with the dial. I've included a picture of the inside of the case and other relevant parts. Perhaps all I need is the correct ring below the crystal?

Sure looks like the movement should just sit inside the case. And that the tension ring inside the crystal shall hold the movement down. But finding the right one? Maybe a Sternkreuz ACT with tension ring could work.  You probably have to test and see what works or not? 

Indeed the movement does not require a spacer.

What is the problem with the tension ring and the crystal ?

I had an Accutron once that came with a standard ACT tension ring acrylic crystal and I replaced it with a new one and everything was fine, you just have to do some tests.

Usually they fit.

Thanks to everyone for the input! Upon further examination it does appear that the tension ring is too thin and therefore the crystal is not able to apply enough pressure onto the dial. I may explore some options for shimming between the dial and the tension ring to get enough compression or try sourcing alternate tension rings. The other issue with this ring is I suspect the original had a stepped geometry so that it centered the dial and took up the clearance between the OD of the dial and the ID of the case.

31 minutes ago, Tumbler said:

Thanks to everyone for the input! Upon further examination it does appear that the tension ring is too thin and therefore the crystal is not able to apply enough pressure onto the dial. I may explore some options for shimming between the dial and the tension ring to get enough compression or try sourcing alternate tension rings. The other issue with this ring is I suspect the original had a stepped geometry so that it centered the dial and took up the clearance between the OD of the dial and the ID of the case.

Think so to. I didn't find the English word for it . Seen that kind of stepped tension ring in some Bulova watches. I had about the same problem some years ago with a Bulova 666 diver. The tension ring was wrong and pushed the crystal out when i tried to put the caseback on. Couldn't figure it out. But did some reading and found out that i had a stepped tension ring.Which i didn't have. So what i did was i turned the tension ring upside down. Worked out nice. Couldn't see it even if you looked closely. 

6 hours ago, Tumbler said:

Mike - Thanks for the feedback! Is it possible that I'm just missing the appropriate "split ring" that attaches to the crystal and contacts the dial when pressed together?

Scott

That could indeed be the case Scott. You will need to check. It does look that way from my failing memory.