Omega 1040 Chrono Bridge (Using My Microscope)

I am currently working on a Mark IV Omega Speedmaster and found a jewel that was badly scored.  Since I couldn't work on it anymore until I get a new jewel, I decided to play with my microscope and camera.  Here is the chronograph bridge with the bad jewel circled.  There is an old case tube beside it for a size reference.  The second picture is of the jewel at 45x magnification.  I still need to work on my lighting to get better pics, but at least it works :)

C3134CCF-2B31-4674-818C-E803A130F1B6_zps

D4E102FC-AD07-472E-A055-4E8F1D29CBD7_zps

Great pics.

Probable: The old oil dries and mixed with dust and metal particles it forms a sort of paste and causes the damage to the jewel. Goes to show how regular service (clean the old oil away and re-lubricate) is essential. Too many owners have the opinion that "if it's not broken don't fix it" and this is the result.

:)

• Like 1

Thank you all for the comments. The microscope is a 3.5x-90x zoom trinocular amscope from eBay. I tend to use it without any added lenses which yields 7x-45x magnification. It is more than enough magnification and still allows enough room to work. I just cannot say enough good things about it. I only wish that I had better lighting and could take better pictures. The lighting should be an easy fix and pictures will just take practice and experimenting.

I will see if I can get a picture of the winding gear where it was hitting the jewel. I am not truly sure why it would cause such scoring. The winding gear doesn't look as if it can be disassembled, so I am going to double check that it is functioning properly. This movement winds bidirectionally. Maybe it is fouling in one of the directions. I am also going to double check the end shakes. If anyone has any other ideas of things to check, I am all ears. Will be back later. Thanks!

Hi Guys,

I was able to take some more pictures for you all.  Hope they are what was asked for earlier.  I am not 100% sure, but I think that the winding gear (reverser) is bad or gummed up.  I have cleaned it twice and once in my ultrasonic cleaner.  The technical sheets that I have say to only oil the top and bottom under the metal disc.  I find that strange since the reversers in the 55X and others can be disassembled and you are supposed to oil the little satellite wheels.  When I put the freshly clean wheel on the satellite pinion and attach the bridge, the other winding wheels or rotor do not move.  When I apply a little amount of 9010 to the spaces indicated, the winding wheels will move every time I wind and the rotor will occasionally spin when mounted.  This reminds me of the eta reverser wheels when they are bad, unclean, or not oiled properly.  I really don't want to order a new one since the cheapest I can find is $70US.  I imagine that this is the culprit since the jewel is so badly scored.  I feel like the winding gear (reverser) is spinning every time the crown is turned, causing it to ride up and hit the jewel.  Just a guess though.  It seems like it should be held stationary and spin on itself when manually winding.  Anyway, here are some pics for you guys.  Some are with the scope and some are with the DSLR.  Thanks!!!!

35F848C3-5A8D-4041-AF9C-37F7228742E5_zps

50521730-3791-44D9-8563-53002C5AF8B4_zps

F91687FD-BDA7-454D-B947-0BB30AA6E5E2_zps

CADE8BB2-359F-4374-B19F-559121668269_zps

13282103-2FA2-41F1-9175-8FF83C219E38_zps

9EE13C9E-02A0-4190-B42F-6B93359B00C0_zps

362072A4-3F3E-4815-A552-F2924ECC1D9F_zps

• Like 1