Train Wheel Polishing/Shining

I don't think there can be too much debate as to whether aesthetics is as vital as functionality in watch repair, but when carrying out a service for someone else, obviously it would seem advisable that both constraints are met. I have a small, 7-jewel Swiss-lever pocket watch (around 1880) that I'm servicing for a friend, which presents no problems at all; however, I find that my cleaning machine (I am an amateur, having gained the majority of my experience from books and forums such as this one, though I have indulged in more professional equipment at times) and associated fluids and rinses don't remove oxidation on brass components - in this case, the wheel train, barrel, balance etc. - but rather just removes residual grease, oil and dirt. Assuming that there isn't an issue with the fluids I'm using, or my machine (all of which are L&R), does this mean I need to clean the train wheels with a brass cleaner/some other polishing compound or product to restore their lustre?

I tried something with a scrap movement (similar age to above) which I imagine is likely to be met with some gasps of horror, but I'll talk through it regardless... Having dismantled the movement, and just prior to cleaning, I took a benzine jar full of benzine (left over from the days before I bought my cleaning machine) and dropped a brass train wheel into it. Once it had shed most of the visible oil and dirt, I used a dust blower to dry it, and placed the wheel on a block of clean, scrap hardwood with a small hole drilled into it (one pivot being placed into the hole so that the wheel was lying flat). From here, I applied a small amount of Brasso to the wheel, holding it still with pegwood, and used a leather buff stick to polish it to a high shine, before repeating on the other side. Brasso is abrasive and produces a black residue when used (any that isn't washed off will also turn white and dry hard), so to remove this I dropped it again into a jar of benzine, and used sharpened pegwood to clean the teeth and leaves. At this point, the wheel is gleaming and I'm fairly happy with the results. I burnish the pivots using a jacot tool, run all components though my cleaning machine, and finally oil and reassemble the movement. All seems to be good with the polished wheel as far as I can tell, but I wanted to ask whether there is any better method, or whether the method I employed could yield adverse results when I do the same with the pocket watch mentioned above?

• Like 1

Well, like you I have no formal training, but here's another "unauthorized" idea you may want to try.

Once degreased fully (benzene, acetone whatever) place the part in CLR with either melted wax (probably best), or Rodico (might eventually be "eaten" by the CLR) on the pivots to prevent any material loss there. You may want to run this in your ultrasonic.

Check it frequently, and rinse three times in distilled/deionized water when clean to remove all CLR.

This will remove the oxidation, and do so evenly- using any abrasive runs the risk of heating the part locally, which can bring it out of flat, as well as rounding of corners and edges.

I use the CLR method for old Cymbals, and it is gentle enough to leave the black ink stamp IDs in place while removing oxidation- as long as you stay on top of it. I do cymbals in the sink and rinse with tap water but you don't want any sort of ions depositing on your gears while drying from tap water so get a gallon of DI water from the grocery store.

Good luck!

No harm trying to get everything clean but some watch parts are plated and the plating is very thin. Brasso and other metal polish will remove this and leave a nice shine which is quickly dulled.

Anilv

I was going to suggest L&R cleaners as they work for me UNLESS the train wheels or plates have been lacquered, like on an old smiths Enfield clock I worked on, no amount of ultra sonic cleaning got them shiney, that is until I soaked them in acetone, clears the lawyer off and a spin in the cleaner with some L&R and they were gleaming 

• 2 weeks later...

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• I see what you mean. I must admit I’m not entirely comfortable with that but I can’t see a better method than what you suggest. I’d like to see something like this mirror with a short spike: https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/mirror-for-observing-movements Place it on, push the spike on the post with one hand and release the stem with the other hand. Minor problem, it doesn’t exist.
    • Hope you mum keeps on mending. I was adamant that I was going to get myself going after my stroke. I was only 52. I still have a lot of life left to live. Some people give up. Some people don't let it beat them. Your mum sounds like one of the winners. 👍
    • Moved in. Now working out the best place to have things so moving around the room makes sense. The wooden movement testing rig may end up being suspended from the roof with some pulleys and ropes that I salvaged from some alfresco blinds that we replaced. I always seem to salvage things from things we scrap thinking, "I have an idea what I can use these for." I hope I'm not the only one that does that. My wife hates me for it. "What are you going to do with all this crap?" Anyway, here you go. If anyone has suggestions for workflow around a room, speak up. All Ideas are appreciated. The bench on wheels will carry either a laptop or my Samsung table for using with the little camera that is on the tripod for photos while dismantling etc. The small bar fridge in the corners going to have water etc in it and I might move the coffee maker from the kitchen out there as I am the only one that uses it. I want to get an ultrasonic cleaner so I may set up some sort of cleaning rig in front of the glass of the sliding door. Where the grandmother clock is currently standing. I'm hoping that I will be able to transition my working area, which is the table that the stool is sitting in front of, fairly easily between clocks and watches. I'll be doing my best to make sure that tools for each are separatedwhen stored. Logistics. I'll have a bit of wall space for being able to hang clocks if I find some that I wish to keep or hopefully at some time to be able to hang customer clocks for monitoring after servicing/repairs. The clock on the left in the blue pillow slip and the grandmother clock are earmarked for  Jarryd and his wife, Sara. He helped me move the benches in today. And then went on to tell me that ticking clocks drive him nuts. Who doesn't like the rhythmic ticking of a clock? I have a green pad for adding to the bench for a working surface. It is not a cutting mat or one of the Bergeon mats. It is actually a green desk writing mat. Was really cheap and will do exactly what I want, I think. I also have to get the sparkies back that put our new stove in to put some power points on the walls behind the benches. Hopefully this is all going to go well. I'm excited about it. It'll beat having to live out in the garage doing it. The other thing I have to do is cut a circle or square of plastic to go over the bouncing watch or clock part black hole in the middle of the floor. I would pretty much guarantee that anything that sproings off the bench would end up going straight down that drain. 😄      I think I have been on this forum about 4 years and still yet to really strike a blow. That's a bit sad isn't it. Signed up to Mark's watch course and have yet to buy the movement for working on. Have most of the tools I think I will need so now all just a matter of will.   I have to make a crank handle for my Joe Collins spring winder as well and some spring retaining tubes as I can't find where I can buy them. I will be salvaging (here I go again) the aluminium tubing from my old hang glider which I have to scrap as I can't fly anymore and it is too old to sell. All the aluminium tubing is aircraft grade so I am hoping it will be suitable for the winder. I have also been making a bushing tool and I have just worked out that it will work well with my Dremel stand. So another thing that I can turn into a working tool. Don't know if you guys have ever seen the ad about the guy that buys himself a new 4WD and the son says "We're going to need a bigger boat." So Liz is looking at all the stuff we have to get rid of and says "We're going to need a bigger bin." Really difficult to work out how big a Dempster bin we need. Sigh.
    • So leave off the seconds. Stand the movement on its edge, its the dial edge that rests on the pad ( either rubber or cork , something that wont slip ). Use a finger of your left hand to hold the movement upright,  right hand presses the release and flicks out the stem. I do it this way so i can see what I'm under a microscope. But you could hold the movement between two fingers of your left hand, its the right that has to manipulate the stem out by pushing the release and flicking out the stem with  right ring finger nail. Sounds more complicated than it actually is. I guess you could fix a push pin to something solid, then all you need to do is push the release against the pin, leaving your right hand completely free to pull the stem out.
    • Try putting everything back together and closing the back cover. I think one of the two springs has to contact the metal casing to ground the casing. So when you press the button, it will touch the contact on circuit board and close the circuit.