Tools for the beginner

Jim3839

I’ve recently  decided to take up repair antique   pocket watch repair. As a retired mechanical engineer, I’ve always been fascinated by  the ingenuity of early watch makers. 

My question is what basic tools should I first equip myself with and does anyone have suggestions as to where to get them?

Thanks. I’m glad I found this forum as I’m  sure I’ll have many more questions. 

Mark L has a great video outlining the basic tools required, I'd have a look at it. Basically you would need:

Good quality screwdrivers 

Good quality tweezers

Loupes

Movement holders

Oilers 

Oil

Hand removers or levers

Pith wood and pegwood (toothpicks will work for old junk movements for practice)

Rodico

PATIENCE! 

There are SO many tools you'll eventually end up with, and I'm sure I've missed even some basic ones as well. Welcome to the world of antique watches!

Ebay is a good source for decent used tools if you examine the pictures closely. Cousins in the UK and other online sources are available for new.

Edited by khunter

from another beginner......loupe, tweezers, screw drivers, case opener (knife and jaxa (wrench) type) hand levers and oilers would be the most basic and then collect from there.   I would highly recommend buying the best quality Swiss stuff.   Using low quality tools is a pita in the macro world but just unbearable in watch work. 

Over the last couple of years I bought out a few retired guys tools kits, just patience and watching the classifieds.  It was a great way to get head start

Edited by measuretwice
  • Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions. We have an auction house here in Vegas that does estate auctions  I’ll have they look out for such estates 

I total agree with getting quality tools and I can see how it would certainly apply in such delicate work. 

Jim

There is absolutely no need to overspend on "swiss" tools, especially for a beginner. These are often the same that you can buy directly from the asian manufacturer, but with an 8x markup.Of course, that doesn't mean that you have to buy the cheapest or poor quality, but remember that is the person that does the job, not the tools. 
No need to wait for retirement sales either, if your goal is to learn and do fix watches, buy tools, watches and books, and get busy. 

For an fun and modern way to learn, check Mark Lovick's HD course: https://www.watchrepairlessons.com/

So for the second part your question of where to buy tools it would help if we know where you're located. Fortunately you give us a clue that you're in Vegas. Location becomes interesting because for instance the group known as The National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors has chapters scattered around the country. The chapters operate a little differently a lot of them have what’s known as a Mart you can buy things but usually have to be a member. So as you’re just starting out there’s another opportunity for you and you don’t have to be a member. Scattered around the country the various chapters get together pool their resources and have regional events. A lot of these now are open to the public usually find they have a big Mart where you can purchasea things.. I have found the regional Mart locally a great place to buy tools over the years. Unfortunately the number regionals are shrinking and looks like closest one for you will be Arizona in March and does say they have a public day.

Thanks for pointing me to the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors. We’ll definitely check out their conversation in  Fountain Hills Arizona in March. It’s only a six hour drive. There’s not much once you leave Vegas that’s less than six hours away. 

I want to thank everyone for their advice. It’s great to know there’s so much support for someone new to this hobby. 

Jim