Next Video?

No video needed, just change them,if they're,so much twisted they wont be good in quality timekeeping so exchange them

p.s: sent from my s****y phone so sorry for typing mistakes

I'm inclined to agree with you Emso. I've only corrected two damaged hair springs, one on a large pocket watch and the other was from an Omega Chronostop. In bother cases I was successful, but it is not easy to do and would not be an easy thing to describe given that each problem is usually very different.

The pocket watch is still working fine, and I would have had great difficulty obtaining the correct spring. The Omega although working OK after the tweeking, I still purchased a replacement.

Edited by Geo

Sure - replacing the hairspring is fine if you just wanna fix the watch, but I'm keen to learn the skills involved...

Also, I'm probably going to have a hard time finding a spring for a 1913 Fontainemelon trench watch!

...and I'll probably bend the poor thing trying to fit the new one anyway...

PS if anyone has a hairspring for a 1913 fontainemelon trench watch....I shall pay you handsomely

Sure - replacing the hairspring is fine if you just wanna fix the watch, but I'm keen to learn the skills involved...

Also, I'm probably going to have a hard time finding a spring for a 1913 Fontainemelon trench watch!

I fully appreciate your situation and desire to fix the original hairspring, I was in the same situation with the pocket watch I referred to.

Here is an article that will give you some idea of the complexity regarding hairsprings.

http://www.tp178.com/jd/watch-school/6/article.html

Regarding the manipulation required to adjust hairsprings, I suggest that you purchase "Practical Watch Repairing" by Donald de Carle. It contains a wealth of knowledge to help you with watch repairing.

Good article Geo!

Personally I would never be able to make a new hairspring like some watchmakers - I know my limitations. But depending on how damaged it is I can usually get one back in shape as long as it has not broken too short.

Here's one I posted up on my blog which turned out OK. http://www.watchservices.co.uk/blog/2012/05/22/new-balance-staff-new-jewel-and-repair-hairspring/

Manipulating hairsprings is all about technique and following the 90 degree rule, and then it is all about practice. And the best way to practice is by getting some old balance springs, distort them out of shape and then practice re-shaping them.

As per your request I will do a vid at some point on how I do this and show the 90 degree rule and which tools I use and how I use them.

I have also had a rather large number of requests for a video on the Seiko automatic and it's service so it looks like I am not short of ideas :)

I don't mind requests - I might not be able to do them straight away as it's just little ol' me but I will definitely try my best :)

Mark - not sure whether you've already covered adjusting end shake using a jewelling tool... But if not, could you?

Also - do you recommend Horia, seitz or something else?

I do have one video I have published which shows how to use a jeweling tool to fit a new jewel - adjusting the height of the jewel (end-shake) is done with the same tool.

Personally I have never used a Horia but I do like the look of it. I do not like the Seitz having used one, the one I prefer is the Favorite set.

• Like 1

I agree with those who suggested to just get a new hairspring replacement when it is warranted especially knowing how tedious work it is. But I think we all know (as some of you have pointed out) it is not always possible to find a replacement. It would be good to know how to fix the hairspring. Then, we can decide whether to replace or fix depending on the condition and situation, and not always resort to replace the hairspring.

@Mark - Thank you for your always helpful insights. Appreciate it.

Mark, your link is amazing, I just wish I could have seen the whole operation!

It would be very interesting and useful for novices like me to see the 90 degree rule demonstrated as you propose. I'm also grateful for the Seiko video you are planning. I can't wait from anticipation! Thank you for all you do!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good article Geo!

Personally I would never be able to make a new hairspring like some watchmakers - I know my limitations. But depending on how damaged it is I can usually get one back in shape as long as it has not broken too short.

Here's one I posted up on my blog which turned out OK. http://www.watchservices.co.uk/blog/2012/05/22/new-balance-staff-new-jewel-and-repair-hairspring/

Manipulating hairsprings is all about technique and following the 90 degree rule, and then it is all about practice. And the best way to practice is by getting some old balance springs, distort them out of shape and then practice re-shaping them.

As per your request I will do a vid at some point on how I do this and show the 90 degree rule and which tools I use and how I use them.

I have also had a rather large number of requests for a video on the Seiko automatic and it's service so it looks like I am not short of ideas :)

I don't mind requests - I might not be able to do them straight away as it's just little ol' me but I will definitely try my best :)

I do have one video I have published which shows how to use a jeweling tool to fit a new jewel - adjusting the height of the jewel (end-shake) is done with the same tool.

Personally I have never used a Horia but I do like the look of it. I do not like the Seitz having used one, the one I prefer is the Favorite set.

Is this video on the YouTube channel? I searched but found none?