Movement identification - olma deluxe

Deggsie

Hello all. It’s been a little while since I joined here and would just like to say how very useful I find the site for information and mostly just a pleasure to read

I recently received a vintage olma with 17 jewels, but unfortunately the staff pivots are worn away and I need to either replace the staff, or, the balance wheel assembly complete with hair spring.   The trouble I’m having is identifying the movement.  Having removed the balance cock the numbers 727 can be seen, but no indication of the movement manufacturer.  I have attached some photos and would be most grateful if anybody could please advise where i might find out the exact movement so that I can obtain a spare balance assembly.  

Thanks in advance and seasons greetings to you all. Regards Eggsy 

53B4A3B8-78F4-48D7-9CCF-85001287CFFB.jpeg

7696D35D-0D17-422E-BB0A-D6C8C3E4EFEF.jpeg

05F091C5-24D5-447A-8D87-C2E0312C75DD.jpeg

61A1758E-0ED3-4F4E-884B-3E0258737890.jpeg

In order to establish who manufactured old movements it is almost essential (few manufactures had unique bridge layouts)to remove the hands and dial so that the setting parts of the watch can be seen they are unique to each individual manufacturer and can provide positive identification. Most part catalogues use  pictures of these parts to identify movement maker, books such as Bestfit , Flume, Paulsons and Catalogue Official.

In watches from the 1920's to around the 1940's most manufacturers used almost identical bridge layouts making it very hard to establish calibre and maker.

Another useful thing to know would be the approx measurements of the movement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for you replies. I have now had opportunity to remove the hands and dial, and take a few photos of the keyless works along side a ruler just to give an idea of scale.  Hope this is of use and looking forward to finding out more about this little movement . Kind regards to all, Eggsy

As clockboy as stated double check you are dealing with a eta 727 I've lost count of the times I have ordered parts wrongly before I had a good selection of reference books.

Cousins lists a balance complete for a eta 717 looking on Ranfft Eta 717 through to 719 , 724, 726 ,through to 729 all have the same specs as regard basic architecture, and staffs are the same, mainsprings, and stems are the same I would think that the 717 balance complete would fit it is listed at £20.74 on the web site under Eta 717.

Do a bit of research it may be suitable.

Thanks gents.  You have been most helpful and as soon as I can get the photos on here I will.  Having looked at the eta 727 on ranfft I believe it to be a good match.  I don't have the tools to swap out the staff alone, so will need a balance staff assembly with hair spring. Kind regards Eggsy

I have  cross referenced with my "Bestfit" and the setting lever for the 717 is slightly different. According to "Bestfit" the 725 is compatible with the 717 also a variant of these calibers is some were fitted with a sweep seconds hand. This might account for the slight differences. 

Hello all.  First thanks for your work in referencing with books etc to try and ascertain the movement number.  I notice that If you look about 17mm up and slightly left of the centre line, you can see a shallow recess.  This is where ‘ETA’ is usually marked.  For some reason the brand marking has been machined off.  I’m hedging my bets on this movement being an ETA 727.   Even if it is a 721, the balance assembly is the same part number.  Thank you all again for your help and guidance, I would not have got this far alone  and I hope you have a very merry Christmas. Regards Eggsy

• Like 1