UV Adhesive remover

At my last job when we glued crystals into cases we used UV glue and cleaned it up with "Trichlor". The stuff worked GREAT It only removed the glue on the surface and I could get a very very clean seam. BUT I can't seem to find any place that sells it. So I was wondering what all of you use to clean up hardened UV glue. 

Thanks for your time.

not surprised you can't get it any more. I assume that it is trichloroethylene which is now banned almost everywhere due to its carcenogenic properties.

Does acetone not work at all? Failing that is it not possible to clean up any excess glue with IPA before curing it under the light?

• Like 1

Since you are in the US, you can get it, search ebay for  trichloroethylene.  It's gotten expensive, though, 500ml for about 50$ US. Nasty stuff, too. Be very very careful when using it. I use it as "One-Dip" for hairsprings and jewels, and try really hard not to inhale any fumes or get any on my skin.

A solvent often used as a substitute that is not quite as dangerous is Tetrachloroethylene, otherwise known as "perc" or dry cleaning fluid. I've found it sold in auto parts stores as brake cleaning fluid. I don't know if it will work as well in your application, as I don't use UV glue.

• Like 1

Since you are in the US, you can get it, search ebay for  trichloroethylene.  It's gotten expensive, though, 500ml for about 50$ US. Nasty stuff, too. Be very very careful when using it. I use it as "One-Dip" for hairsprings and jewels, and try really hard not to inhale any fumes or get any on my skin.

A solvent often used as a substitute that is not quite as dangerous is Tetrachloroethylene, otherwise known as "perc" or dry cleaning fluid. I've found it sold in auto parts stores as brake cleaning fluid. I don't know if it will work as well in your application, as I don't use UV glue.

We had something in Sweden called bräkleen from CRC . But don't now if that has tri any more? Tri is not very good for the environment. 

• Like 1

I remember once using 'triche' in my teens (many years ago!!) to clean some cycle parts in my dads shed.  My dad had a big bottle of it.  I can remember my head starting to spin (not literally!!) after only a few seconds.  I got out quick to recover.  Chucked the stuff and closed the bottle very tight!!  Never used it ever again !!!!

To think that it was widely used in the engineering industries as a degreaser/cleaner is frightening.  No wonder it is banned in the UK, although I think it can still be used under license with very strict rules and requiring very sophisticated and no doubt expensive ventilation/extraction/solvent recovery plant. Most of industry moved to other products as a result.

I remember once using 'triche' in my teens (many years ago!!) to clean some cycle parts in my dads shed.  My dad had a big bottle of it.  I can remember my head starting to spin (not literally!!) after only a few seconds.

I believe it was originally developed as an anesthetic.

My other secret vice, other than watch tinkering, is reviving dead iPhones. I use UV glue on the screens and that cures to a rubbery texture. This peels off with a bit of rubbing and I would have thought a piece of peg wood would do the trick here.

I agree with the often repeated idea that glue goes with watches like sardines go with custard but why use a UV glue to further complicate matters?

Using a solvent on glue just turns it into thin glue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just done a straw poll in the phone community. Fluids used to remove the glue range from engine oil to electrical contact cleaner via WD 40 and olive oil. Plus mechanical removal by rubbing, scraping etc.
An almost 100% vote for IPA for final clean up.
Cheers Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk