Hello from Miami, Fl. My name is Robert and I've been a "watchmaker hobbyist" (if this is possible) for sometime now. I'm currently following 2 instruction classes about watch repair on line. One offered by the TimeZone School (Otto Frei et al) and another about the Seiko 7s26 by an Australian watchmaker (the link escapes me at this time).

I'm working on ETA/Unitas 6498, ETA 2801-2 and Seiko 7s26, all obtained from ebay....not in great shape but I've managed to make them work again, especially the seikos. I've covered so far all the disassembly, cleaning and assembly (along with some troubleshooting, demagnetizing, etc) of all these movements but I've disassembled them one more time in order to cover the oiling part (now that I understand each one and seen them working). Eventually they will be incorporated to some cases and hopefully allow my kids to make good their promise that even though they use their cells, they will wear a watch made by their daddy!

I understand I might be a "classmate" of some members here. In any case, hello to everyone I hope to be of some help or be helped in turn as the opportunity presents itself.

Sincerely,

Robert

Welcome to the forum Robert, this is a friendly place with a lot of very knowledgable people from all over the world. That was a great introduction, I like your idea of putting together watches for your kids to wear.

Welcome Robert from the USA,  sounds like you are already getting to grips with the black art of watch repairing,  it's a fascinating hobby and will keep you interested for years.  There are all skill levels on the forum and someone should be able to answer any questions you might have.

Thank you Geo, WillFly and autowind for your warm welcome. It is a good feeling to share with you guys about our -- to quote autowind -- fascinating hobby. I couldn't have put it in better words.

Robert

By the way, in the forum instructions it says there is a way to post pictures but it doesn't show any in my text editor (no attachment button). How do I change that?

When you do a post or a reply, there's a grey button next to the black "Post" button which says "More Reply Options". Click on that to select the "Add Files" button - then select the pic(s) you want to add. When they've uploaded, click the "Add To Post" (or some such) to get them shown as a line in your post...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By TonyC
      Hi. My name is Tony. I'm from New Jersey, in the United States. I have a modest entry level collection of quartz and mechanical watches.
           I enjoy repairing electrical, mechanical, pneumatic, and hydraulic equipment. I want to learn how to maintain and repair a wide variety of watches.
           I'm looking forward to learning about watch repair and making Friends in this forum.
    • By kma2018
      I'm happy to finally start posting on this terrific watch repair community forum. I've been a member for almost a year, but have been mostly searching the forum for asked and answered questions that might help me with my novice watch repair techniques. I'm a vintage watch enthusiast with a special love of Timex watches from the 1950s  through the 1970s. I developed an interest in watches about 4 years ago when I rediscovered two mechanical watches (a vintage Longines and a Seiko 5) that my father had left in a desk drawer years ago before he passed. Amazingly, both ran in spite of never having been serviced! I was hooked and began my own mechanical watch journey. I'm looking forward to learning more from this wonderful community.
    • By alanbid
      Hi,
      New to this, but have always enjoyed watches, but now getting more involved with easy repairs..
      Thanks for having me,
      Alan
    • By JCStuyck
      Hello everyone,
      I am french, 64 years old , retired and  leave in Indonesia .
      I always had a passion for watches and start collecting them 40 years ago. 
      I must say that After a very active life I am getting bored and decided to spend time with my passion.
      I am sure I will be communicating with many of you in a near futur.
      Good day to all of you.
      J-C
    • By bangy55
      Greetings, fellow horology lovers! My name is Chris. I live in central Florida in the US. I only finished Mark's online course about a month ago and find myself obsessed with watches. It seems to creep up on you unawares. This is my first post though I've been a patron for a couple weeks or so. I've been busy online watching Mark's videos and buying every watchmaker's tool that comes to mind. My wife's gonna kill me when she see's our next credit card invoice. I'm a 63-year-old roofer who has always suffered from shaky hands. What better hobby could I have gotten into? Aside from surfing when I was in my 20s, this is my first hobby ever. I recently won a bid on eBay of some poor soul's tools left behind and I have three that I have no real idea what they are. I thought it might be fun to upload a photo and see if you guys could help a noob out. If anyone wants to see more or closer shots, just let me know. Thanks