What problem does the stop lever (hack) actually solve?

Stian

Hi guys,

I understand that the hack stops the balance wheel when setting the watch. However, I don't really understand why this is necessary? Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks,

Stian

Sent from my VIE-L09 using Tapatalk

Allows you to synchronize the watch seconds.  

Say in reality the time is 2:05:35 without hack you could set it to 2:05 easily, but if the watch is running, trying to get the seconds running on 35 is impossible.

Edited by Ishima
  • Like 1

It was important for military chronometer-grade watches.

Y'know, "Gentlemen, synchronise your watches", etc. In the early days of WW2, the Weems watch was used for navigation. This was non-hacking and used a simple bezel like you see on divers watches to set the "zero seconds" point. Later, the MoD specified watches to be hacking, such as the IWC Mk11, so they could simply be set to the exact time by halting the movement while adjusting.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stian said:

I understand that the hack stops the balance wheel when setting the watch. However, I don't really understand why this is necessary? Can anyone enlighten me?

If you are looking for "necessary" in horology, you're looking into the wrong industry :D

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for the responses, very learningful. For non - chronographs though, does it not mean that every time you set the watch it also stops running? Probably not a big issue as such but probably not beneficial either?

Stian

If you are looking for "necessary" in horology, you're looking into the wrong industry [emoji3]

Indeed, beneficial would be a better choice of words.

Stian