Silly Error But Funny (In The End)

I thought I would share this funny.

I was given one of those jobs that you just know are trouble. My next door neighbour asked if I could look at her watch as the glass had fallen off ! ! !  The watch was a really cheap Rotary and the glass and frame for the glass just snaps on just like a snap on case back.

On close inspection it looks as though it also had some sort of sticky glue around the rim to help adhesion.

As a test I snapped the glass back on using a glass press and sure enough it snapped on a treat. HOWEVER I could not believe my eyes some of the roman numerals had dislodged with the snap action. After running put of swear words I re-stuck the offending numerals with epoxy glue and a pin. When dry I used double sided tape (borrowed from the wife's craft room)  Snapped the glass back on and I thought the jobs a good Un.

HOWEVER I had stuck the eleven (XI) upside down  i.e. (IX) this watch now has two 9,s.

What a plonker you might say. Fortunately the neighbour thought it very funny and believe it or not is very happy with the repair.

No fee charged for this one.

• Like 1

YEP

What little experience I have had the cheaper the movement either clocks or watches the more potential problems

i.e. Timex watches has anyone successfully got the plates apart.I gave up with one a while ago.

We are all allowed a few errors or as I call them brain farts, but it all ended well in the end.

Re Timex watches, the mechanical Timex is a very clever design and is as rugged as a Tiger tank, but I think it was meant as a throw away item and as such is not designed to be serviced like a Swiss watch.  I think the idea is to remove the dial and dunk the whole watch in the cleaning machine, dry it and then oil the usual bits and pieces.  They are not really worth expending any effort on as even after spending several hours on it all you end up with is a cheap watch.  OK if it's for your own amusement, but not viable for a business.

We are all allowed a few errors or as I call them brain farts, but it all ended well in the end.

Re Timex watches, the mechanical Timex is a very clever design and is as rugged as a Tiger tank, but I think it was meant as a throw away item and as such is not designed to be serviced like a Swiss watch.  I think the idea is to remove the dial and dunk the whole watch in the cleaning machine, dry it and then oil the usual bits and pieces.  They are not really worth expending any effort on as even after spending several hours on it all you end up with is a cheap watch.  OK if it's for your own amusement, but not viable for a business.

Thanks I came to the same conclusion. I did this to an old cheap alarm clock a few years ago just to see the results and it runs a treat in fact I still use it if we have a weekend away. It does make you think sometimes.

• 8 months later...

CB, I know this is an older thread but I've come across it as I work my way through the threads and posts.

Seeing your post about having two IXs on your neighbour's watch face reminded me of a watch that I bought new (most unusual) five or six years ago.

I'd gone to stay with a friend and had forgotten to take my watch with me. Feeling in need of something to hang on my wrist, I went into an emporium and looked at a caseful of budget watches. Having chosen one on the basis that it looked nice and chunky and the fact that I'd recently bought a Jeep Cherokee I handed over the money, about £20, and thought no more about it.

It was only after having worn it for about a week that I noticed what you've all noticed straight away. Yep, two 12s!!

The watch kept and, as my daily wearer, still keeps excellent time so I was very pleased with it.The movement is a Miyota 6M53 quartz, which has been reliable and accurate. A great £20 worth.

post-742-0-97003400-1426250162_thumb.jpg

Yep one of my classics & never allowed to forget.  It,s my neighbour's never ending party questions "spot what,s wrong with my watch"

Just an old duffer born in MCMLII making a cock up because it was roman numerals, yours however is a real howler.

Edited by clockboy

Maybe if, like me, you'd been born in MCMXLIX you'd have twigged earlier. :-)

Not knowing how mass-produced dials are made I'm at a loss as to how my 'double-12' came about. Maybe they ran out of zeroes or it was Friday afternoon or something?

As you say, it's a talking point. I occasionally ask people if they can see what's unique about my watch and often it takes a while to 'clock' it. It raises a question in my mind about how we read analogue and digital watches. With analogue the hand position is everything so maybe the dial digits are 'invisible'.

I found this copy Omega in a bundle of spares & repairs I bought of ebay. Not quite grasped the spelling of Speedmaster

post-143-0-97995300-1426627218_thumb.jpg

The movement and case were OK, so I bought a new strap off ebay and made a new dial, and now happy to wear.

post-143-0-81079400-1426627322.jpg

• Like 2