Help needed with Quartz WW Testing !!!

Alaskamick

Can anyone please help me.

I purchased a Quartz watch Tester thinking it would be a great help, being completely new to Quartz watches.

I am ok with the mechanical side of wrist and pocket watches but out of my depth with the quartz side of things.

General 240v systems I'm ok with and am completely at ease with but when it comes to Quartz circuit boards I am completely lost. The terminology is a complete mystery so the instructions with the tester tell me nothing really.

Can any of the very knowledgeable folk here put these instruction into plain English and interpret the guide so that I can use the test meter to give me meaningful answers.

At the moment I have just wasted £34.

Mike

RAY11041.JPG

RAY11038.JPG

RAY11039.JPG

RAY11040.JPG

Two remarks:

With an LED it is impossible to test 1,5 Volt. (it is direct connected)

The mechanical line free will damage watches with one pulse/minute

------------------------------------------------

You can try with testing an old working quartz watch.

-Sensor: you should hear a sound every second or minute when the coil in the watch gets power

-Mechanic line free: an turning magnetic field which turns the rotor in your watch (to) fast.

-Battery test: put 2 1,5 cell and the led go's on

-Crystal test: forget it

---------------------------------------------------------

Hello clockboy, thanks for your reply, the battery is ok but my problem is that I just don't know what the terminology means so the instructions mean nothing to me and I don't know what they refer to.

I know it sounds pathetic but I need someone to explain it all to me.

What do - Mechanic Line Free,Sensor, Crystal and Pulse refer to. What do they check.

Edited by Alaskamick

Put simply an inexpensive operated quartz watch on and try.

-Sensor: you should hear a sound every second or minute when the coil in the watch gets power

-Mechanic line free: an turning magnetic field which turns the rotor in your watch (to) fast.

I have one as well, exactly the same and have found it to be worth having. The line free facility that sends the pointers spinning came in useful a few times though once it sent the minute hand flying off, however that turned out to be the fault. The audible pulse sensor proved death in one of them, bought it as friends and family kept giving me quartz watches to sort out and as George says for the money it's ok.
The tests are basic and based on a majority of watches at the cheaper end of the market? You do not need to do much except follow the instructions blindly, get a working watch at the pound shop and play with the line free and pulse facilities to see them work to prove your machines ok. Don't forget the watch you test may actually be dead and perhaps that's why your machine seems not to work.
I personally never "got into" anything other than a very basic idea on how a Quartz watch works but have got away with changing batteries and getting rid of dirt (or a small hair on one occasion) to free the train.
Cheers,
Vic

• Like 2